986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Low cost tires (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/79018-low-cost-tires.html)

JayG 11-08-2020 03:35 PM

Low cost tires

Don't flame me, I needed new shoes for my 996 Targa and didn't want to spend big $$

After looking at the normal choices, Conti's, Michelin AS3, etc, I went with Nankang NS-25 All Season UHP. My Targa has 19's as well, so tire cost a bit more.

I ended up buying all 4 for roughly $400! The other tires would have been around $1100.
I had a local small shop mount and balance, adding another $80. So I was in for $480.

I don't track or AX this car, so decent All Season tires were what I wanted and with my pending move to Austin and winter coming, summer tires were not the way to go.

Frankly, I have been pleasantly surprised with them. We just had 2 rainy days, and they performed really well on wet roads.

If you are looking for a lower cost, but decent performing tire, definitely consider these. BTW, from what I can tell, they are not made in China, but Taiwan. I did a bit of research, and they have gotten pretty good reviews

Starter986 11-09-2020 01:50 AM

I've Yokohams somethingorother numbersorwhatever on my 98. Went to America's Tire... I said I wanted V rating or better... and out came the Yokos. I believe it was <$700 all around.

You won't get a flame from me. At that price you might afford burning through a couple sets a year. :cheers:

bcrdukes 11-10-2020 08:41 AM

I'm running a set of Federal Evoluzion ST-1 on my 986. I got them installed with taxes in for $650 CAD. So far so good, and I am impressed.

They feel a bit floaty for the first 100KM or miles or so, and from there they are quite grippy, so do expect a short break-in period. They remind me of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but a tad softer, suitable for daily driving. A few guys with the local Honda S2000 club track on them and have some good results. Not a like-for-like comparison to a Boxster, but at least somewhat of a good indication. Made in Taiwan, not China. I like them and will buy again.

WizardSmokey 11-10-2020 10:38 AM

I also run Federals, on multiple cars. They make excellent budget-minded tires. For races requiring 200tw, I use the Federal RS-RR, though I also have them on my daily Alfa Romeo, just for laughs. For the Boxster, my goof-off wheels have the Federal 595 SuperSteel.

Full set for the Alfa in 225x18 was about $500 to my door, and the bimmmer's race wheels, also RS-RR in 255x17, was pretty close to the same, maybe a bit more. You can get them from Amazon or Walmart, so shipping is usually very quick.

They make a LOT of road noise, but they perform well and last much longer than most other 200tw tires. I've used Federals in probably more than two dozen races by now, as well as a lot of goofing around, backroad burning, and highway cruising on three very different cars, and they performed very well for all of them. They might not be quite as quick as some of the really competitve 200tw tires, but they're less than half the price.

Too bad they don't make them in 315, or I'd have them on my 986 race wheels as well. :(

Qingdao 11-10-2020 03:54 PM

I had a set of Kumho Estca's on my last car. They lasted a good while, and they had great wet traction.

This time I went with Firehawk indy 500's... They were really cheap. Cheaper than the Kumhos. I got a set for $300 from Firestone during a sale they were having. I only have .9 of a mile on them so I can't comment but they seem nice on other peoples cars.

bcrdukes 11-10-2020 06:08 PM

Glad to hear others running Federals!

morgal48 11-22-2020 06:32 AM

You're moving to Austin?

jsceash 11-22-2020 07:27 AM

I'm also running the Federals 595RS, decided to try them after running the Federal FZ 201-18" on track for several seasons.

Drham986 11-23-2020 02:19 PM

I'm running the Nankang NS-25's on 19" wheels (235/35 + 265/35) on my 04 Boxster S. I live in WA State and they are great in the rain, really good in the dry and smooth as silk as fast as I've taken them which is ~110 mph. I don't track and I don't normally drive 100+ so I'm super happy with them for the price. If I get good mileage out of them, they will be replaced with same when the time comes.

jcp 11-28-2020 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drham986 (Post 627016)
I'm running the Nankang NS-25's on 19" wheels (235/35 + 265/35) on my 04 Boxster S. I live in WA State and they are great in the rain, really good in the dry and smooth as silk as fast as I've taken them which is ~110 mph. I don't track and I don't normally drive 100+ so I'm super happy with them for the price. If I get good mileage out of them, they will be replaced with same when the time comes.

I'm also trying out Nankings (on 17" wheels) as winter replacements for my Continental Extreme Contact Sports. So far I've been pleasantly surprised with them.

JayG 12-20-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgal48 (Post 626959)
You're moving to Austin?

Yes.
We are building a home in Lago Vista. If all goes well, should be completed in mid to late March :)
Our plan is to spend the summers in Lago and the winters in Palm Springs.

JayG 03-23-2021 06:43 AM

UPDATE.......

Now that I have a couple 1000 miles on the tires I have to say I am very pleased with their performance. We had some rainy weather in the last few weeks (yes I know it doesn't rain much in SD) and I felt very safe with the Nankang's driving on wet roads and in med-heavy rain.

At less than 1/2 the cost of the "name brands" they are a bargain for all season tires