Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2020, 12:26 AM   #1

AC not working after belt change

Hi,

A few weeks back, i changed the serpentine belt. Unfortunately i had order a belt for a non-AC car but needed the car back together asap and thought that it would not matter.

Drove it like this for a few miles and after i put on the correct belt, the AC does not work anymore.

I have tried disconnecting the battery to cancel all error codes and also checked the fuse and relay.

Someone has any idea of what might faulty or broken?

Thanks in advance

/John

Cyrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
Racer Boy

Are you sure that the belt is routed correctly?
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
Disconnecting the battery doesn’t clear error codes. Not sure if this is the culprit, but find a durametric or independent shop to figure it out. Autozone will lend you a reader if that’s productive. (Can’t clear stuff with it) Looking to see what others say and what comes of this. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrox View Post
Hi,

A few weeks back, i changed the serpentine belt. Unfortunately i had order a belt for a non-AC car but needed the car back together asap and thought that it would not matter.

Drove it like this for a few miles and after i put on the correct belt, the AC does not work anymore.

I have tried disconnecting the battery to cancel all error codes and also checked the fuse and relay.

Someone has any idea of what might faulty or broken?

Thanks in advance

/John
You've got a couple of things we need to do to try to narrow this down;

first, let's be sure it's related to your recent belt-change. All too often I've chased problems arising from recent work, only to discover they were entirely unrelated.

When you say the A/C does not work, Can we assume then that the control seems to function correctly, and the air is blowing correctly, it just doesn't get cold?
If yes - then we're diving back under the hood. Check to be sure that your belt is routed correctly, and then run the motor and look to be sure the belt is turning the compressor.
If yes - then we need to cycle the A/C button, and watch to see if the clutch on the front of the compressor engages or not.

If Yes - then does it STAY on? or does it kick, and then disengage?
If NO - check the electrical connection at the compressor. Check the fuses. Hit it with a test-light or meter. whatever you have that can diagnose so we know if it's a problem at the compressor, or elsewhere.

Hope this helps.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #5

Thanks for all the responses!

Quote:
You've got a couple of things we need to do to try to narrow this down;

first, let's be sure it's related to your recent belt-change. All too often I've chased problems arising from recent work, only to discover they were entirely unrelated.

When you say the A/C does not work, Can we assume then that the control seems to function correctly, and the air is blowing correctly, it just doesn't get cold?
If yes - then we're diving back under the hood. Check to be sure that your belt is routed correctly, and then run the motor and look to be sure the belt is turning the compressor.
If yes - then we need to cycle the A/C button, and watch to see if the clutch on the front of the compressor engages or not.

If Yes - then does it STAY on? or does it kick, and then disengage?
If NO - check the electrical connection at the compressor. Check the fuses. Hit it with a test-light or meter. whatever you have that can diagnose so we know if it's a problem at the compressor, or elsewhere.
On the control unit, when pushing the snowflake button to activate the AC, the snowflake shows in the display.
But, when i checked the relay there was no voltage when the ac was turned on.

Quote:
Are you sure that the belt is routed correctly?
Yep, and can confirm that the ac coupling spins

Quote:
Disconnecting the battery doesn’t clear error codes. Not sure if this is the culprit, but find a durametric or independent shop to figure it out. Autozone will lend you a reader if that’s productive. (Can’t clear stuff with it) Looking to see what others say and what comes of this. Keep us posted!
I actually have durametric myself but as disconnecting the battery (for some time) at least clears engine codes i just assumed it cleared all the codes :/
I will try and read all the codes (on a vacation right now so wont be until next week). Feeling a bit like an idiot that i have not checked the codes.

Many thanks again for your input!
Happy Boxstering!

Cyrox is offline   Reply With Quote