Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #1

Oil filter bypass valve location?

Hi there,

Today I was doing an oil and filter change on a 2003 Boxster 2.7 I have. When I removed the filter housing there was a spring loaded valve stuck in the end of the cartridge, but I didn't take notice of which end of the cartridge it was inserted into when I removed it. I thought it was in the top of the cartridge, but when I offer the cartridge up the valve doesn't really mate to the pipe that feeds the oil into the filter, so I now think that perhaps it should be the other way around so that the valve is in the closed end of the filter housing (the bottom). But, thought I should check to be sure before I proceed.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Adam

AdamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #2

The device you are describing is the bypass valve and should be mounted in the bottom of the plastic filter housing. If it has broken loose, you may be in the market for replacing the plastic housing.

If that is the case, I would recommend scrapping the factory set up and switching to LN Engineering's spin on filter adapter. Then you can use a better filter than the factory junk.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #3

That's great. Thanks for the reply.

AdamP is offline   Reply With Quote