Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 12:11 AM   #1

Yet another "Will these wheels fit?" (Wheel Adapter Spacing Concerns)

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade the stock wheels on my 986 to something a little more beefier. Considering the stock dimensions:

Front: 16x6, 50mm offset
Rear: 17x7, 55mm offset

I found a pair of beautiful wheels (which were originally made for a bmw) that I'd like to put on my 986. I've heard of people having no issues with stock suspension with 19x10in wheels, but my concern comes with the additional +19mm adapter.

Upgraded wheels:
Front (5x120) : 19x8.5, 35mm offset + 19mm adapter conversion
Rear (5x120) : 19x10, 40mm offset + 19mm adapter conversion

These were the slimmest I could find:
https://usadapters.com/collections/5x130-5x5-12-wheel-adapters-spacers-5-lug-billet-hub/products/5x130-to-5x120-us-wheel-adapters-19mm-thick-12x1-5-lug-stud-3-4-spacers-84-1-x4

So... will the wheels + adapters fit? The stock setup seems to be really generous with their offset and initial wheel width, I'm concerned about adding almost 3 inches of "wheel" and with less offset might cause them to rub the fender, or look too fat (I'm trying to be flush with the fenders, but a little sticking out is fine). This thread here seemed pretty promising:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automotive-parts-accessories-sale-wanted/294079-boxster-986-19-wheels-hankook-v12-235-35-275-30-tires.html

I'm pretty new to this wheel stuff so go easy on me

Any advice?

dirpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #2

Plain and simple don't put wheels on your car that require adapters. That is not the way to go.

Plenty of Porsche specific wheels out there that look great and won't break the bank.
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #3

I ask because my buddy sold his beemer and is offering his wheels for free. If I could get away with only spending the amount towards adapters for a new set of wheels, sounds like a good deal to me- better than to buy an entire new set. I daily drive a bmw so it would be nice to have that compatibility.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #4

+1 on what Max said, for simplicity and peace of mind reasons.

Fitment: you could certainly get away with a nice set of wheels if you can ensure that the adapters you add to the existing assembly are spec'ed. Meaning by that; concentricity and parallelism tolerances, lightweight but durable material and balancing. Reason for that is to "minimize" vibrations as much as you can (you won't be able to eliminate it completely, sadly). So... you can't cheap on that part.

Personal view on "adapters": if the car is driven at e.g. weekends only, 25~45mph, rural roads, etc, then I don't see a major problem. if however you fancy long highways, twisties and occasional fast & furious then that might not be such a good idea.

Lastly, only a licensed engineer (ideally working for Porsche and with knowledge of the 986 wheel assemblies) can answer the question about the reliability & durability. I doubt any forum member can or will answer that question for you

Hope this helps, probably not (sorry)
Old 05-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #5

For the part material and tolerance I wouldn't budge for anything below a 7075 grade aluminum (+ professionally treated) and with a tolerance greater than 0.02~0.03mm (huge max). Won't exactly be a cheap part be aware but very much available e.g. German/Euro mfg or custom machined locally.

ps. no asian import on that part. < read twice.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #6

That's some solid advice guys, I'll skip out on this one then. Thanks for the info

Tags
19in , offset , wheels