Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Will there be cake?

Garage
Clutch Kits for 2001 986S

first I searched the forums without success and also, this need to be up to date info, so...
looking at clutch kits for the 2001 986S 6 speed (100K and original clutch) and settled on the LUK 20-018 clutch kit since it includes the overpriced (~100 bucks) throw-out bearing, but this starts my concern.
this kit is out there for around 300 bucks, with pressure plate, friction disc and TO bearing. I'm concerned that this is mislabeled at parts counters and am buying a kit for a base Boxster instead.
for the elites out there, don't need the fanciest, longest-lasting or most performance-oriented combination out there...this is a neighborhood car that sees around 1K a year, but since I am bored in the lockdown, thought it was time to do some maintenance.

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #2

I've noticed that LUK clutch kits in general, regardless of make/model, are typically cheaper. Why? I'm not sure, but on the other hand, I haven't heard of anyone having issues. I do know a few people who have put them into their 996, and no complaints. Seems like those who have tried their LUK (haha) have been okay so far. Like yourself, I was interested in a B5 S4 that needed a clutch kit, and the LUK was the cheapest at $750 vs. OEM at $2500. Something was amiss and I passed on the deal.