986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Cooling Fans Not running correctly? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/77635-cooling-fans-not-running-correctly.html)

PorscheBear86 04-21-2020 03:44 PM

Cooling Fans Not running correctly?

Hello.

My car is a 2001 Boxster 2.7 base. 150k miles

I replaced the water pump and thermostat with a 160 lower temp.

it was running fine and cooling correctly after?

My question is. After sitting all winter the fans do not seem to kick on while the car is running or even after its off and hot or slightly above 180. Its worrying.

I hooked up my Durametric tool and laptop. I can turn on all fans and they sound normal.

But when the car is running on its own with out the durametric the fans do not seen to ever turn on.??

please help.

elgyqc 04-21-2020 06:40 PM

What temperature was it outside last year when you noticed the fans running? Looks like it is a bit cool in Pittsburgh so maybe it doesn't need the fans... yet. My fans only stay on after the engine is shut down in summer temperatures. I'll check tomorrow, but I don't think 180 is overly hot.

bcrdukes 04-21-2020 09:08 PM

If you're in stop and go traffic, or just idling, at some point in time, the radiator fans will kick in. I don't recall the threshold exactly, so hopefully someone will chime in on the specifics.

The worst case scenario is that the relays have failed, but does not appear to be the situation given that your Durametric was able to enable them on command.

GLImages 04-22-2020 01:14 AM

If you turn the ac on you should hear the low speed fans kick on immediately. I believe the coolant temperature threshold for the high speed fans is 206 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

thstone 04-22-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLImages (Post 615767)
If you turn the ac on you should hear the low speed fans kick on immediately.

^^ What he said. ^^

The fans should come on at low speed as soon as the A/C is turned on. Check both sides. If one or both doesn't turn on, then you have a problem.

PorscheBear86 04-23-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLImages (Post 615767)
If you turn the ac on you should hear the low speed fans kick on immediately. I believe the coolant temperature threshold for the high speed fans is 206 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you I will try this :) I appreciate your help!

PorscheBear86 04-23-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 615764)
If you're in stop and go traffic, or just idling, at some point in time, the radiator fans will kick in. I don't recall the threshold exactly, so hopefully someone will chime in on the specifics.

The worst case scenario is that the relays have failed, but does not appear to be the situation given that your Durametric was able to enable them on command.

Ok thanks for your help it is cooler here

PorscheBear86 04-23-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgyqc (Post 615758)
What temperature was it outside last year when you noticed the fans running? Looks like it is a bit cool in Pittsburgh so maybe it doesn't need the fans... yet. My fans only stay on after the engine is shut down in summer temperatures. I'll check tomorrow, but I don't think 180 is overly hot.

Ok thanks :) I might just be worried about nothing I guess