Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #1

Coolant out of overflow tube

Last year I replaced my coolant reservoir, tried bleeding it (nose down, cap off etc) and kept losing coolant, replaced the cap with the new version. Engine temps were normal.
Put it away for the winter frustrated. Now that I have time to work on it and it’s warming up outside, I took the cover off the bottom to see where it was coming from.

It is coming out of the overflow tube, when I have the cap off it stops dripping.
Cap on and relief valve open it drips as well.
Any ideas? I drained the oil to see if there was water, and there was nothing.
Do I have a trapped air bubble?
Suspect a cracked cylinder wall?

Last edited by Penland; 03-26-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #2

Garage
Did you use an OEM or Porsche supplied tank when you replaced it?
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Did you use an OEM or Porsche supplied tank when you replaced it?
I honestly don’t remember. I purchased it about 3-4 years ago, but the leak got bad enough I stopped procrastinating and finally replaced it. But I’m pretty sure it may have been aftermarket.

Last edited by Penland; 03-26-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penland View Post
Last year I replaced my coolant reservoir, tried bleeding it (nose down, cap off etc) and kept losing coolant, replaced the cap with the new version. Engine temps were normal.
Put it away for the winter frustrated. Now that I have time to work on it and it’s warming up outside, I took the cover off the bottom to see where it was coming from.

It is coming out of the overflow tube, when I have the cap off it stops dripping.
Cap on and relief valve open it drips as well.
Any ideas? I drained the oil to see if there was water, and there was nothing.
Do I have a trapped air bubble?
Suspect a cracked cylinder wall?
Penland.... you've been a member since '11 and have 92 posts..... that's like, less than once a month. I really hope this is the beginning of a new level of activity from you!! hahahaa.

I'm jsut teasin;, of course. :dance:
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
I honestly don’t remember. I purchased it about 3-4 years ago, but the leak got bad enough I stopped procrastinating and finally replaced it. But I’m pretty sure it may have been aftermarket.
Well if you want to drive it, then my recommendation to you would be to buy an OEM or Genuine Porsche tank. Ask Robdelorenzo on here. The seam on the aftermarket tanks are known to leak where the manifold to hose connections are. This can allow fluid to seep into the overflow line when the tank pressures up with the cap on.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Well if you want to drive it, then my recommendation to you would be to buy an OEM or Genuine Porsche tank. Ask Robdelorenzo on here. The seam on the aftermarket tanks are known to leak where the manifold to hose connections are. This can allow fluid to seep into the overflow line when the tank pressures up with the cap on.
Thanks, just ordered a genuine Porsche tank from Suncoast. I had my doubts about the tank since it sat around in my garage for so long.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, just ordered a genuine Porsche tank from Suncoast. I had my doubts about the tank since it sat around in my garage for so long.
Good choice! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:05 AM   #8

Coolant bleeder valve leak

In my case the problem was leakage under the bottom of the Coolant bleeder valve (part no. 999 707 371 40). At the bottom of the Coolant bleeder valve with the transition to the Coolant reservoir is an O-ring that in my case was outdated and did cause the leak. If it leaks, the coolant will run down the drain on the right rear. On advice I replaced the entire Coolant bleeder valve including O-rings.

Last edited by Evert; 03-29-2020 at 01:59 AM.
Evert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
I was changing the oil today and ran it a little, witnessed it leaking thru the manifold connections, new tank will be here Wednesday with new level sensor. Getting excited to be able to drive it again, thanks again!
Old 04-01-2020, 04:58 PM   #10

New tank in today, problem fixed. Thanks again for the help! E
Got it out and in, in 1 hour. Much easier to get it from the underside.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #11

Garage
Glad to help. Now get out and put some miles on that thing! :dance:
Old 04-02-2020, 04:03 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
New tank in today, problem fixed. Thanks again for the help! E
Got it out and in, in 1 hour. Much easier to get it from the underside.
Would you mind sharing "why"? I understand it to be a frustrating effort doing it from the trunk and from the top. I don't mind taking off a panel... a wheel... whatever if it means less frustratation, even if it takes me an extra half-hour.

Did you find removing/connecting the hoses easier? Any tips, tricks, and/or advice?

Thank you!
Old 04-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Would you mind sharing "why"? I understand it to be a frustrating effort doing it from the trunk and from the top. I don't mind taking off a panel... a wheel... whatever if it means less frustratation, even if it takes me an extra half-hour.

Did you find removing/connecting the hoses easier? Any tips, tricks, and/or advice?

Thank you!
Easier to see the hose clamps instead of blindly fumbling around when shoving my arm in
From the top.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #14

Also here are some pics, since I believe every thread should have pics 😜

Next repair/upgrade will be an 03/04 glass window top

Old 04-07-2020, 09:20 PM   #15

Penland,..Iam not sure what MY Boxster U have but upgrade the frame also,..I have a 02,..with a glass rear window..and you can't really put the top in service mode very Easley and I have been told and believe its true due to the 02 top has 3 bow's and 03-04's top's have 4 bow's in the top which lets the rear window pivot up better,..I would love a zippered window like my old MGB..!! This info is just incase you care about that stuff..LOL Frank
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:53 AM   #16

Yep I’m aware I need the frame too, it’s a 97. I found an auto recycler 50 miles away that has 2 tops with frames from an 04.