986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   for those who've adjusted front bumpsteer... (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/77430-those-whove-adjusted-front-bumpsteer.html)

MaxD 03-29-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmitro (Post 614445)
my BMW was a euro-powered E36 M3 with 320hp and about 2500lb so this Boxster is a different experience!

I hate to say it, that is still a momentum car that can out handle most. S50B32 transplants have ruled ST4 around the Utah NASA region until a pesky turbo Miata got dialed in.

I still have a ST2/3 S54 E36 M3. The Boxster really opened my eyes and improved my driving significantly. Really every car should be driven as a momentum car.

Sorry for the thread diversion, I remembered your user name from Bimmerforums.

jmitro 04-18-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 614014)
Jmitro, H&R has a great set of sway bars that are 'Very' reasonable priced :-)

I took your advice and bought both F/R and installed. Open track day today - car was more balanced and in fact I had to relearn my turn-in as it seemed more tail happy now.
:cheers:

bcrdukes 04-18-2020 10:07 PM

jmitro - Thanks for the update! Did you need any new end links and parts when installing the H&R front and rear sway bars? How does the car behave at street speeds and driving conditions?

jmitro 04-19-2020 01:25 AM

I did purchase new Tarrett sway bar end links, but they aren’t required as the stock end links work also. The sway bars come with new bushings.

At street speeds there is no difference. The car behaves and drives just like usual. And I have not heard any noise from them as alluded to earlier.

I agree with steved0x - the challenge now is to tame the oversteer

bcrdukes 04-19-2020 06:17 AM

Thank you!

At what speeds are you encountering oversteer?

jmitro 04-19-2020 07:31 AM

highest I saw on my dashboard yesterday was 107mph before braking. but oversteer can happen at lower speeds like a 40mph auto-x. just depends on how much one is pushing the car to the limit

truegearhead 04-19-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxD (Post 614414)
Exactly. -3 to -3.5 rear camber is common running square. Also it is common to disconnect or run a smaller (stock) rear bar when using a GT3 front bar.

Play around and see what you like.

Similar to running an E36 with no rear bar and a square setup.

This seems backwards to me. A stiff front sway bar should increase understeer, removing the rear bar will make this even worse. I run a square setup and have have a GT3 front bar. I couldn’t dial out the understeer until I installed an adjustable rear bar.

Gilles 04-20-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truegearhead (Post 615624)
This seems backwards to me. A stiff front sway bar should increase understeer, removing the rear bar will make this even worse. I run a square setup and have have a GT3 front bar. I couldn’t dial out the understeer until I installed an adjustable rear bar.

I believe that he installed 'both' the front and rear sway bars and the rear H&R's are adjustable :-)