Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2020, 05:27 AM   #1

can't get enough rear toe out on 2001 Boxster S

Just replaced the the rear lower control (coffin) arms on my 2001 Boxster S with Meyle parts. For some reason on the drivers (left) side there's too much toe-in and I can't correct it with the nut/cam adjuster. Has me baffled. Anybody out there have an idea of what's going on?

PeterBleakney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #2

How much toe do you have now, and what toe setting are you trying to achieve?
Old 03-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I have never measured but I ha e heard rumours k we the recent years that the Meyle coffin arms are shorter than the TRW ones.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #4

I've read the same where people ditched the Meyle and bought the TRW coffin arms. If I recall correctly, it is TRW who is the original manufacturer of the coffin arm for Porsche. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
TRW are the OEM for these parts.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBleakney View Post
Just replaced the the rear lower control (coffin) arms on my 2001 Boxster S with Meyle parts. For some reason on the drivers (left) side there's too much toe-in and I can't correct it with the nut/cam adjuster. Has me baffled. Anybody out there have an idea of what's going on?
I'm not looking at it, but it seems if you've got too much toe-in, then your control arm is actually TOO SHORT. right?

Has the car ever been in an accident?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #7

Peter, you may want to check the camber because when you have too much negative camber, you run out of toe adjustment..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Peter, you may want to check the camber because when you have too much negative camber, you run out of toe adjustment..
Ah, this is true. I ran into that problem last year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #9

Thank guys. I bit the bullet and dropped it off at our local Porsche dealer for an alignment. I'll find out in a couple days when they get to it and will report back. I can't imagine the Meyle arms that Pelican sells for this application are too short. But we'll see...
Old 03-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #10

Okay, the Porsche dealership righted everything, giving the Boxster a complete alignment - for $335! With new lower control arms and control arm links at each corner, along with these 18-inch 987 Cayman S wheels and fresh Michelin 4S rubber I just put on (replacing the stock 17s), the car has never felt better.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBleakney View Post
Okay, the Porsche dealership righted everything, giving the Boxster a complete alignment - for $335! With new lower control arms and control arm links at each corner, along with these 18-inch 987 Cayman S wheels and fresh Michelin 4S rubber I just put on (replacing the stock 17s), the car has never felt better.
I love how these wheels look :-)

Last edited by Gilles; 03-25-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #12

Are the newer control arms and links original Porsche, or were they the existing Meyle ones? Any evidence the Meyle control arms measured shorter?

For reference,which dealership was this? For $335, assuming parts and labour, that's not a bad deal.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #13

All four lower control arms are Meyle, the front control arm links are Meyle and the rear control arm links are TRW. The Meyle control arms and stock arms are identical in length, so no worries there. I made the mistake of trying OCAP coffin arms and they were terrible - bushing calibrations were way off - stiff crashy and tons of steering kickback. AVOID!!! As my car had about 126,000 kilomters on it when I bought it a couple of years ago I've been gradually replacing these parts in my driveway. What once was noisy and loose now feels tight and fresh. The local dealership (Porsche Center Oakville) did an excellent job with the alignment and also give a 10% discount to PCA members.