986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   New AOS, Manometer reads (- 0.47 ) (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/77340-new-aos-manometer-reads-0-47-a.html)

flmont 03-10-2020 09:10 AM

New AOS, Manometer reads (- 0.47 )

It was really all over the map,...from -0.35 to - 0.50 What does that mean,..
Plus I did a smoke test and it only leaked from air box,..( filter in wrong,.. fixed ), I didnt see any more obvious smoke . ? Thanks Frank

Starter986 03-10-2020 11:06 AM

Have you considered amending your existing thread so, you know, people can follow your results? Thanks. :cool:

maytag 03-10-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 613062)
Have you considered amending your existing thread so, you know, people can follow your results? Thanks. :cool:

I think he was hoping to get some new views. I don't blame him. :dance:

I'll go respond to that thread.

10/10ths 03-10-2020 02:18 PM

Fyi:

A mechanic that I trust on these machines told me that the manometer test is really useless.

The AOS can fail without warning.

The membrane is either good or it’s not.

Just R&R it every four years.

Cheers!

JFP in PA 03-10-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 613073)
A mechanic that I trust on these machines told me that the manometer test is really useless.

The AOS can fail without warning.

The membrane is either good or it’s not.

Just R&R it every four years.

Cheers!

Strange, using this "useless test", we have correctly diagnosed and replaced many failing customer AOS units before they could fail catastrophically and potentially kill the engine...………...

JFP in PA 03-10-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flmont (Post 613057)
It was really all over the map,...from -0.35 to - 0.50 What does that mean,..
Plus I did a smoke test and it only leaked from air box,..( filter in wrong,.. fixed ), I didnt see any more obvious smoke . ? Thanks Frank

That is indication of a very low vacuum level, either due to a bad AOS, a low vacuum signal from the intake system, or a vacuum leak somewhere in the sump system.

I would test the vacuum level coming from the intake to the AOS, it should be very high.

flmont 03-11-2020 07:45 AM

Thanks,.. JFP and Maytag,....Yea Iam sorry about that Starter986,..I did post that response in my original post,but I really need this car on the road I havent driven it since the Holiday's and i NEED to drive it !!(( I love that car !)..and Iam kinda impatient and I know you should not start new threads on a currant topic,...I just thought a new thread would get some attention,..Sorry Thanks,...Frank

Starter986 03-11-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flmont (Post 613120)
Thanks,.. JFP and Maytag,....Yea Iam sorry about that Starter986,..I did post that response in my original post,but I really need this car on the road I havent driven it since the Holiday's and i NEED to drive it !!(( I love that car !)..and Iam kinda impatient and I know you should not start new threads on a currant topic,...I just thought a new thread would get some attention,..Sorry Thanks,...Frank

Hey, Frank. No apology necessary, really. I'm low man on the forum totem pole. I soften up after 6A. Pacific. ;)

I hope you get the car on the road soon! Best wishes!! :cheers:

maytag 03-11-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flmont (Post 613120)

So where ya at then? Were you able to get it sorted?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

flmont 03-11-2020 09:21 AM

Another AOS on the way..

JFP in PA 03-11-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flmont (Post 613135)
Another AOS on the way..

Who's are you buying?

flmont 03-11-2020 05:33 PM

direct from Porsche,..just like the last one.