986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Too many things.... where to begin? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/77235-too-many-things-where-begin.html)

maytag 02-20-2020 05:37 PM

Too many things.... where to begin?

Hey y'all!

I took the car for a spin around the block just now; first voyage since entering the garage a couple months ago to undergo some upgrades.

ABS and PSM lights came on almost immediately. (So'd the CEL, but I think I know what that's about)

Typically, my trouble shooting begins with "what's changed?" But in this instance, the answer is "what HASN'T?"

New:
Coilovers (ride height is probably too low, more on that later)
Camber plates
Tarret sway bars and end links
Adjustable thrust bars on front
Adjustable toe links on rear
18" wheels (replacing the 17's)
Replaced transmission, too.

And, I painted the calipers, so they were dismounted and remounted.

I set the ride height about 10mm lower than spec for ROW SPORT, which I presume is M030. And then I set up some string lines and just got the alignment "in the park", as I'll be letting my race shop do a corner balance and alignment.

As I was leaving the drive, turning hard right, the left front was rubbing, and actually felt like it was "crabbing" a bit, as well. And that's about when the lights came on.

So....
Can I presume that the PSM light is on because the ABS light is on? Or vice-versa? Or are they so independent of each other that I'm looking for failures that impact both systems? For instance: if I've accidentally left one of my brake sensors unplugged (I don't think I did, but im speculating) triggering the ABS, could that ABS system off-line make the PSM light come on as well?

Any thoughts are welcome. It'll be Saturday before I can look at it again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

NewArt 02-20-2020 07:29 PM

Totally a guess but I could imagine that the ABS and PSM are linked. As for brake sensors, you don't mean the pad wear sensors do you? If you track and/or otherwise maintain your car regularly (which I'm sure you do!) you can just eliminate those and twist the wires together. Sort of like the clutch switch. ;)

maytag 02-20-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 612109)
Totally a guess but I could imagine that the ABS and PSM are linked. As for brake sensors, you don't mean the pad wear sensors do you? If you track and/or otherwise maintain your car regularly (which I'm sure you do!) you can just eliminate those and twist the wires together. Sort of like the clutch switch. ;)

I do mean the pad sensors, and yes, I've done precisely as you described. I unplugged them and the wheel sensors when I was putting the coilovers on.

I'm laying in bed worried that the rubbing I heard may've been the wire running to the sensors.... and I broke it (the "crabbing").

I'm trying to forget about it since I can't do anything till Saturday. Haha

I think first thing I'll do is connect the durametric and see what codes I've got. (I assume it'll read ABS and other chassis codes? )

Racer Boy 02-20-2020 09:27 PM

My first thought was the ABS wiring harness on one of the wheels got either disconnected or damaged. It's handy that you have a Durametric!

GLImages 02-21-2020 03:16 AM

Have you changed any of your light bulbs to LED?

Sounds like an odd question, but I had both ABS and TC dashlights come on in my 98 after installing led brake light bulbs. The system seems pretty sensitive to current draw.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Starter986 02-21-2020 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 612117)
I do mean the pad sensors, and yes, I've done precisely as you described. I unplugged them and the wheel sensors when I was putting the coilovers on.

OK. So you unplugged them (pad sensors). However, did you twist the wires together to complete the circuit, thus preventing the light from tripping?

JayG 02-21-2020 05:31 AM

You can also leave them connected and wire tie they out of the way

maytag 02-21-2020 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 612137)
OK. So you unplugged them (pad sensors). However, did you twist the wires together to complete the circuit, thus preventing the light from tripping?

Sorry, I've been unclear.
Yes, twisted wires bypassing the pad sensors. been running like that for over a year.

they are in my list of suspects only because I unplugged them (along with the wheel sensors) when I was installing the coil-overs.

I was tentatively fearing (or hoping?) that someone would tell me that there's an obvious problem with such-n-such part's compatibility with the '03 PSM. That's the biggest reason I posted all of this. Some of y'all have been down the same road and I thought there might be some ".... aaaah..... I know what this is....". Excluding that, I'll just have to roll up my sleeves. :dance:

Starter986 02-21-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 612139)
I'll just have to roll up my sleeves. :dance:

Dude, I thought always those sleeves were up. You're always improving your car, and I bet it's awesome.

:cheers:

maytag 02-21-2020 07:57 AM

So I couldn't stand it, and I took 5 minutes to hook up the durametric.

ABS code 4440. Steering angle sensor.

I think this is all about my poop-ey half-butt "it's- too- cold- out- here" alignment. The steering wheel is aimed left as I'm headed down the road.

78F350 02-21-2020 10:20 AM

#1 Don't panic and start fixing things that aren't broken and breaking things that are good. This problem is not uncommon and happens for a variety of reasons including a lower battery voltage after the car has been in the shop for a while, or a simple burned out brake light.

Rather than re-post my favorites from the search, I'll let you take your pick:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=abs+and+psm+after+sitting+porsche

I had the steering angle sensor code on my '04, and it simply reset and tested good the next time I took it out.

maytag 02-21-2020 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 612169)
#1 Don't panic and start fixing things that aren't broken and breaking things that are good. This problem is not uncommon and happens for a variety of reasons including a lower battery voltage after the car has been in the shop for a while, or a simple burned out brake light.

Rather than re-post my favorites from the search, I'll let you take your pick:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=abs+and+psm+after+sitting+porsche

I had the steering angle sensor code on my '04, and it simply reset and tested good the next time I took it out.

hehe, thanks. No Panic here. I'm pretty confident that a proper alignment will solve the ABS / PSM thing.

So, on to the CEL, but I'll start another thread.