986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Should I dial-out this play in my shifter? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/77035-should-i-dial-out-play-my-shifter.html)

maytag 01-18-2020 04:31 PM

Should I dial-out this play in my shifter?

Hey y'all. So, I was swapping shift cables, asd I have a set with half the miles on them from a parts car. I'm also waiting for Ben's new side- bushing to arrive from uniwerks.
In the meantime two questions y'all could weigh in on?

1. See the short video below. You'll see some fore-aft "slop". About an 1/8". If I'm seeing the parts correctly, I can dial that out with the studs in the ends of the cups?
Any reason I shouldn't? I mean, does the shifter bind if it's tightened up, or something?
https://youtu.be/wlc0Q_xY890

2. I took the cables out weeks ago..... and I'm older than I used to be, hahaha. Somebody check me: left cable (white) goes to the "front" lever on the 6-spd trans, and the right cable (geen) goes on the rear, correct?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag 01-18-2020 04:40 PM

Nevermind..... I looked again. That play is there to stay. No adjustment.

Sorry.... long day. Cold garage. Haha

Racer Boy 01-19-2020 08:19 AM

Maytag, have you used the short shifter on-track yet? I have a short shifter, and am thinking about getting rid of it. The throws are so short, which is fine for the street, but on-track it's easy to get the wrong gear when you are busy trail-braking and steering into a corner and you need to downshift. I'll admit that I'm rusty, but it just takes too much focus on shifting to keep from blowing a shift. I never grabbed the wrong gear when I had the stock shifter.

From what I've read, the 987 shifter is right between the stock shifter and Ben's shifter. Maybe I'll get one of those.

WizardSmokey 01-19-2020 10:47 PM

I've got the Ben's shifter on my track 986, and you'd have to pay me an awful lot to go back to the stock shifter. I had an issue with the stock shifter of hitting the gap between first and third when going up from second. No problems since I got the short shifter.

maytag 01-20-2020 04:00 AM

Hmmmmm....... interesting question.
Yes. I've used the short shifter on track. But I haven't used the stock shifter on track, so I can't really compare.

I DO have the occasional difficult time getting into the correct gear while downshifting... but until you asked that question, I was ready to just simply chalk that up to "need more seat time". I am still working on muscle memory to help slow things down a bit. When I'm heel- toeing, blipping for 2 down shifts, starting my turn-in, etc.... it still feels a little frenetic on occasion. And this is when I sometimes grab the wrong gear. (Yeah.... the WORST time to do it. Hahaha)

steved0x 01-20-2020 05:12 AM

I've used stock shifter (rubbery and worn out), 987 shifter, much better, Ben's shifter, even better. Used all 3 extensively on track. Ben's is my favorite on the boxster.

On my Cayman I'm still on my original shifter, I have a 2nd Ben's but haven't been in a rush to install it since the Cayman shifter has been working well (even better than when I had one on the boxster somehow). And I subsequently scored a deal on a numeric shifter, so that will probably go in at some point...

I highly recommend Ben's and while I don't have the side bushing I'm sure it is great too.

jaykay 01-20-2020 06:36 PM

How does Bens compare to a B+M?

maytag 01-20-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 610335)
How does Bens compare to a B+M?

Everything I hear is that Ben's is far superior. But I've only ever experienced Ben's.

husker boxster 01-21-2020 04:54 AM

This is what I used on my CSS. Huge improvement from stock. Not sure how it compares to Ben's, but this was up there on the best $300 I've spent.

FUNCTION-FIRST > Shift-Right Solution

Nine8Six 01-21-2020 06:13 AM

Ben is about to finalize a prototype which I'm sure will involve stability. He haven't given much details in his last comment although I'm sure someone can ask and/or propose improvement(s). Best time to do so now imo i.e. while he's busy improving his already good shift kit!

http://986forum.com/forums/609908-post695.html

jaykay 01-22-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 610336)
Everything I hear is that Ben's is far superior. But I've only ever experienced Ben's.

The B+M is extremely short and does not work well with my 6 speed. I was wondering if Bens is less so. Would it be similar to the 997 SSK which I have been using for a while?

The 997 SSK is now worn and needs metal bushings.

An extended shift knob really makes the difference on six speeds.

maytag 01-22-2020 06:20 PM

Does anyone have the installation instructions for Ben's side lever?
I'd sure love to review it before opening it all up. The package didn't come with anything but stickers. ;-)