Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #1

Garage
white smoke after sitting even with new AOS?

Has any one experienced the AOS failing shortly after install? Is something causing it to fail prematurely. Also how to remove residual oil in the intake system after it fails? is there some kind of throttle body cleaner that doesn't hert plastic?

PorscheBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #2

never had my AOS fail (or replaced), but I've heard that this can be a sign of it not being properly installed. I'm sure somebody more educated on the topic will chime in.
In regards to cleaners: CRC makes a throttle body specific cleaner. Though (in the future), when in doubt, QD contact cleaner is a good cleaner for anything you are afraid of damaging. It may not be the best thing for cleaning whatever you need to clean, but it won't damage anything.
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

Garage
Oil will buildup in the intake pipes over time with a good AOS. It is a good maintenance check to take the intake parts apart, clean the pipes, runners and TB. I just use a rag/paper towel to clean up the pipes and TB cleaner on the TB. The AOS is sucking small traces of oil back into the engine to be burned off
So after a fail you may have a more significant amount sitting in there and resulting in visible smoking even though things are ok
Old 09-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Oil will buildup in the intake pipes over time with a good AOS. It is a good maintenance check to take the intake parts apart, clean the pipes, runners and TB. I just use a rag/paper towel to clean up the pipes and TB cleaner on the TB. The AOS is sucking small traces of oil back into the engine to be burned off
So after a fail you may have a more significant amount sitting in there and resulting in visible smoking even though things are ok

Ok Thanks ! I will take it apart and clean it again

PorscheBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote