Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #21

A Porsche and cheapest usually don't make for a very good result.

2000 986
1979 911SC coupe
Raybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #22

Slight thread highjack here.

Just a heads up regarding a driving school...

I recently had the absolute pleasure to take part in a Bertil Roos full day class on Pocono Speedway's North Track in an F2000 Road racing Car and I highly reccommend it.

Bertil Roos's Website
http://www.racenow.com/home.htm

I was amazed at how much one could learn about racing and general driving techniques in one class that ran from 8AM till around 4:30PM. Everything from basic Brake sets to advanced Up Rev shifting in one day! After the initial training you are given a car to drive as hard as you want without instructor intervention unless you appear to be dangerous to yourself and or the vehicle.

...that said I have no affiliation with the school, just a real appreciation for what a good school could do to boost one's skills in a short amount of time.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear

Last edited by Boxter; 10-04-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #23

Wish I could join you for another autocross before the end of the year. This month is pretty booked with the wedding coming up next month

Saturday should be a blast. Weather is looking good right now, high 60's and 20% chance of rain...

For those of you in California, looks like the event is also being held in Los Angeles and San Francisco at the end of the month :

https://www.zoomzoomlive.com/

The Miata is a fun little car to drive, but IMHO does not compare to the Boxster

See ya Saturday...

Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
NEXT YEAR??? Heck, there's one at the end of this month in Joliet and I may be looking into a Milwaukee event in a couple weeks... I have to get my fix in before the season ends.

If you guys can make it, Joliet and Milwaukee typically are bigger events 150+ cars and there have been some awesome cars and drivers at the ones I've been to (this means I got my butt handed to me).

Looking forward to driving the front wheel variety this weekend with you NickCats!

BTW - GO BEARS!!!

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #24

loose rear = bad tires?

Vijen6,

When I first got my 986 I had worn out Hankooks and cold make the rear end do just about anything I wanted to with throttle inputs: on and off quickly (not even abruptly) would cause the rear to swing wildly at first until I got accustom to it behaviors. If you have access to some large, safe piece of asphault near you (school, church, shopping center), go there early early sunday morning and play aroundn with throttle inputs to get used to the cars handling with your tires. Try accerating hard through the left hander and see how that feels. That should be real steady and feel good. Next, try changing throttle position mid turn; both accerlating and lifting off. I suspect you will be able to reproduce your wild oversteer. Next, learn the inputs, how much is too much and when. This should help alot.

Also, I would really consier replacing your tires with something extra sticky. You will be all the happier for it. If you like the Falken's (which it sounds like you do) surf on over to edgeracing.com and look up some RT-615's. They should really really help to bring your boxster back under your control.

good luck.

cheers,

--troy
racer_troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:35 AM   #25

I was caught in a similar situation, the traffic camera recorded the incident.

Last edited by Breezer; 10-08-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Breezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #26

No flame intended but 1. Get decent tires - it's a performance car. Falkens and similar are fine for normal sedans who don't corner hard anyway - I personaally tried Kumhos on a street car once and wouldn't ever go that route. Buy pirellis if you want to save some $, and check tire pressures.
2. Time for an alignment
3. Run, don't walk, from any tire dealer telling you it's OK to mix brands or tread styles from one axle to another. Geez that's bad news!

Chris C Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote