986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Rear speaker wiring help - which colors go where in the connector? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/76150-rear-speaker-wiring-help-colors-go-where-connector.html)

Vtx531 09-05-2019 06:56 PM

Rear speaker wiring help - which colors go where in the connector?

Going through my new-to-me boxster and I found the rear speaker shelf wires had been literally ripped out from the connector. Must have been when someone was trying to pull it off the access the engine at some point?

I was able to repin the wires but I’m not sure which order they go in the connector.

Can anyone help me with a photo or description if the wire colors?

There are 2-black 1-red 1-green

Also, Im looking for a used cdr-220 if anyone has one for cheap to replace the aftermarket unit that the previous owner installed.

rick3000 09-06-2019 04:15 AM

I am going to assume you are talking about the plug that comes from the speaker box, I looked through my files and I don't have a clear photo of the wiring for the speaker box side.

I think you can safely assume the two black wires are grounds, you can test the other two wires by using a 9V and listening for whether the left or right speaker makes a sound.

Once you identify the Left +, Left -, Right +, Right -, take a look here for a picture of the headunit wiring then use the Becker pinout diagram (in the manual) to determine which color is left and right. You will have to guess on the grounds, so I would probably test the wires before inserting them into the plug.

Good luck! :cheers:

Cunningr 09-06-2019 05:09 AM

Sure you not looking the connector for the hard too glass defrost? With my experience the speaker wires are solid colors and a striped wire. Should be able to google boxster wiring disgram for your year car and verify the wiring.

Vtx531 09-06-2019 12:39 PM

Trying to upload photo but my ipad photos are .jpeg and it says it has to be .jpg to upload. Also too large of a file I’m guessing. Not a big apple fan!

I am talking about the body side connector. My car has a plastic window (2001).

Cunningr 09-07-2019 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vtx531 (Post 602628)
Trying to upload photo but my ipad photos are .jpeg and it says it has to be .jpg to upload. Also too large of a file I’m guessing. Not a big apple fan!

I am talking about the body side connector. My car has a plastic window (2001).

Yeah but on the driver side there is a factory connector to connect the defrost up if you put on a hard top.

You can change the photo format on your ipad, you have to go into settings select the format, otherwise defaults to the apple default.

Vtx531 09-08-2019 05:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the wires- pass side (USA) right hand side. With the new pins that I already added on.

Vtx531 09-08-2019 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How I found it was the four wires in the image above were not connected to anything and the wires were stripped on the ends. The speaker shelf had both ends of the connectors attached to it with the pins in the body side connector but the wires had been pulled out.

Speaker side connector on left. Body side connector on right. And one of the 4 pins I removed from the body side connector that had the wires pulled out.

Vtx531 09-16-2019 04:49 PM

Green was right side and red was left side. Both black wires didn’t seem to matter which one was which.