Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #21

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Could be that that the previous owner installed a 'spark plug extension'..? those things where used to keep the spark plug from getting fouled with excess oil (when a particular cylinder was burning an exesive amount of oil), perhaps one of the old gear heads here remembers them..

If I remember correctly, you were supposed to thread them on the spark plug threads, then you bolt the spark plug on top of it .

EDIT: If you install a plug back on this cylinder and measure the distance (depth) from the tip of the plug to the valve cover, and then do it again with another cylinder you can see if the plug on this particular cylinder sticks out further than the other plugs, then you have an extension..
We have a winner! As suggested I measured the distance to the top of the plug in cylinder 1 and in cylinder 5 and there is an inch difference. Here is a link where you can see some extensions.
https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/spark-plug-non-fouler
Why was it installed? No idea... but if it ain't broke don't fix it. I might mention that I paid $5,000 for this Boxster, so I plan to enjoy it rather than find unnecessary work to do on it.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #23
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The coil pack sits 1" proud of the head?
That would not be good.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That would not be good.
I was wondering the same thing..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #25

If this thing is screwed into the cylinder head’s spark plug threads, is there an easy way to unscrew it without removing the head? Seems like it could be risky to try.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #26

Bend the tip of a coat hanger and see if you can get it to move?
Old 03-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #27
NewUserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
We have a winner! As suggested I measured the distance to the top of the plug in cylinder 1 and in cylinder 5 and there is an inch difference. Here is a link where you can see some extensions.
https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/spark-plug-non-fouler
Why was it installed? No idea... but if it ain't broke don't fix it. I might mention that I paid $5,000 for this Boxster, so I plan to enjoy it rather than find unnecessary work to do on it.
Is there a hex end sticking outside the plug hole?
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #28

Does it ever blink ??
maxnine11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #29

You really should get that out of there. As mentioned, having the coil pack stick out an inch is not a good thing.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That would not be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
You really should get that out of there. As mentioned, having the coil pack stick out an inch is not a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
… whatever that is, it is not correct and does not belong there. The next question is what do you intend to do about it?
It would seem that I am somewhat cautious about how to handle this anomaly.
My analysis is:
1) the engine ran well as it is.
2) someone made a conscious decision to install the extension for a reason… that I have no way of understanding.
3) simply removing the extension would, I assume, bring me back to the problem that lead to the installation of the extension.
4) so why do anything? At the very best removing the extension could lead to the engine running well… which it does now, but, at worst, it could lead to a problem that means removal of the engine for repair of the original problem.

Here is my latest take on the situation…
I doubt that the original problem was plug fouling, simply because there is no visible evidence (oil or carbon in the extension or different colour of deposits on the spark plug). The only other reason I can think of is that someone damaged the threads in the spark plug hole and installed the extension (perhaps with JB weld or some-such) so that plugs could be changed without further deterioration of the original threads. Remember that this is in the cylinder that is the most difficult to access, so chances of cross-threading are maximized. If this is the case trying to remove the extension would mean having to remove the engine to fix the threads. Perhaps I am wrong, but who wants to take a chance? Not me.

The installation of the coil pack isn’t a problem, I will fabricate spacers so that the mounting screws aren’t putting pressure on the “ears” of the pack. But again there was no problem before.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #31

it's not a head-off job to remove it, but probably a cam cover off job (and all the reqd cam holding tools) unless you got skilz and can dr. longskinnyfinger it out through the little hole in the cam cover. hack way to do a thread repair. first step would be to confirm your thesis - get your borescope in there and try to see the hex head of the anti-fouler. then check to see how the coil pack sits - did you notice it sitting proud when you removed it? then think to yourself - whoever used an anti-fouler for thread repair also had my cam cover off - do i trust any other work he's done? personally,i'd pull the cam cover just to confirm, remove the fouler and repair the thread properly.

edit - i presume it would come out just like a spark plug, so not even a need to remove/inspect cam cover. not sure how hard it would be to put in a helicoil with all that in the way, however (just trying to manage all the shavings) ...

Last edited by The Radium King; 03-21-2019 at 09:08 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #32
Custom User Title Here

Garage
1) So?
2) Probably just a moron.
3) Who says there was ever a problem?
4) If you're going to do something, do it right (also an answer to #3).

Have fun with that.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #33

Before even getting to the coil pack being an inch higher than normal, what about the spark plug not being fully seated in the head? Spark plugs are meant to be threaded all the way into the head, and they have that compression washer and shoulder at the end of the threads to make a tight seal with the cylinder head. Seems like that would be an issue too.

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote