Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #1

Switched +12V in rear trunk of 2004 Porsche Boxster

Hi All,

I did some search on the forum but could not come up with a good location.

Am looking for Switched 12V (switched on with the ignition key) locations to tap into in the rear trunk of my 2004 Boxster Base. Something I can use for powering the main contractor assembly for my conversion. Reasonable current capacity will be ok.

I don't have the service manual so if you are pointing me to a pin on a connector, I would appreciate the help in finding that exact connector. A pic would be ideal...

I had found the following by 'jsceash'...

"X59 Plug pin location 4 White plug next to ECU (left of ECU) Red wire blue stripe fairly heavy wire come from ignition relay and turns off about 30 seconds after ignition is off."

However don't know which is the X59 connector and how to identify pin 4. I could easily put a meter to couple of the leads but the fact that the Switched 12V remains active for a few minutes after key is turned off makes things a bit difficult. Hence my request to post a pic with some brief info.

Appreciate the help in advance!

P.S. Had posted this in the General Discussions section and then thought the question may not be appropriate to that section so am posting it here too...:-)

Old 03-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #2

Switched +12V in rear trunk of 2004 Porsche Boxster Base model

Okay, so I did some measurements and answered the question for myself. I was able to find Switched 12V on two pins of the black connector which is perpendicular to the white connector just to the left of the ECU in the rear trunk.

For whoever is interested and can use this in the future, I am pasting two pics. One showing the location of the connector and the second a bit of a closeup and the pins marked with solid red arrows.

I measured and both these pins show 12V when switch is ON and the voltage is gone when switch is off. the 12V does not linger as it does in some other places as it is needed there.

Hope this helps someone else.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I was looking for switched power from the trunk.

The relay panel has two rows. There are 6 relays in each row.

The #12 relay, last to the right on the botom/second row, is not used.

I started testing by plugging two male end connecters, a positive and negative, to the relay checking the different combinations. Some combos had power always on... some had no power.

The combo that I stumbled upon were the two circled tabs. Now... #12 isn't a 53 relay, I just used the photo to illustrate where in the #12 socket you'll want to plug your wires.

You'll have to figure which wire will be which, I forget.

With the key in accessory all on... there's power to those two wires. When the key is removed from the ignition... what ever is plugged into the wires (light... radio... etc.) will remain on for about 10-15 seconds then the power goes out.

I'm not an electrician... so hopefully my explanation makes sense. I just couldn't see any sense in cutting into exposed wires... in those thick looms... when there was a much safer alternative.

If I was unclear in my description please ask and I'll try to be clearer.

Cheers!

Attachment 22663
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2021, 07:04 PM   #4

This is an old thread. Are these the only switch power contacts to be found in the trunk?

What is the current in each; what loads have been tried?

Can anyone id these circuits?