Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #1

Engine rattle, heat shields? Water pump? IMS?

Hi guys, 200 986 2.7 tiptronic.
.Finnally got the Boxster on the road after an enforced year stood.It sounded a bit rattly when I started it up.I thought it was the tapetts but it has persisted. I have done about 50 miles in it since all short journeys, and it still making the same noise.Not knowing much about these engines not sure if it's something more serious than a loose heat shield, water pump, alternator bearing???Its a rattling noise doesn't seem to have affected the performance, speed, acceleration, engine temperature. I have also noticed a slight smell of petrol in the car, but it again just lingers and goes. If I could upload a video you could hear it but the site only allows images.Hopefully see what you think.Im not driving it and am contemplating recovered to an Indy for assessment, so any suggestions will be gratefully received. Hopefully other 986 members club members will chime in.

marks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks44 View Post
Hi guys, 200 986 2.7 tiptronic.
.Finnally got the Boxster on the road after an enforced year stood.It sounded a bit rattly when I started it up.I thought it was the tapetts but it has persisted. I have done about 50 miles in it since all short journeys, and it still making the same noise.Not knowing much about these engines not sure if it's something more serious than a loose heat shield, water pump, alternator bearing???Its a rattling noise doesn't seem to have affected the performance, speed, acceleration, engine temperature. I have also noticed a slight smell of petrol in the car, but it again just lingers and goes. If I could upload a video you could hear it but the site only allows images.Hopefully see what you think.Im not driving it and am contemplating recovered to an Indy for assessment, so any suggestions will be gratefully received. Hopefully other 986 members club members will chime in.
Check your coolant level. Last time my 98 boxster was rattling the water pump was broke. The plastic blades were broken. I chose not to DIY so I had to top it off in order to drive it to the shop.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Is the noise constant at all speeds/rpm?
Does the sound change with rpm?
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Is the noise constant at all speeds/rpm?
Does the sound change with rpm?
Not noticeable any change at speed or rpm, just can't hear it, the engine noise seems to drown it out until it slows down or I stop... It seems less noticeable as the engine come to normal operating temperature.
What would that indicate if it changed by rpm.?.. Trying not to be too dense but not familiar with boxer engines.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Well, heat shields would most often rattle at a certain rpm, often at idle or just above. An rpm related noise might indicate a pulley bearing or waterpump issue. I would pull off the access panel in the cabin and listen with a piece of plastic tubing or some such to isolate the source. Also bang around underneath with a rubber mallet so see if it’s not part of your exhaust system. Etc.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #6

Thanks new art I think it's a knackered water pump. Not a job I can tackle so off to a Indy.

https://youtu.be/obk2wPQn344