Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

Aftermarket Steering Wheel

I’m looking to fit an aftermarket Steering wheel to my Boxster 986 and at the same time fit buttons to retro fit cruise control. I have done this on a previous non Porsche car and had to fit resistors to the buttons so the ecu understood the signal.
Does anyone know if I would need resistors to do the same on the boxster and if so what values are needed.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by alanchester; 02-08-2019 at 08:45 AM.
alanchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Owner

Yes you need a resistor to trick the system. You will need a scanner with srs reader in order to turn off the air bag light. You will likely trigger it. I purchased an air bad simulator online for convenience.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:14 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.
The resistor question is about the cruise control switch and not the airbag though.
alanchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #4

As long as you disconnect the battery for a few minutes the airbag isn't an issue if you install an aftermarket airbag wheel. If you are thinking Momo or such, there is a resistor you can use to fake the airbag as well. You can get the hub and the rest of the kit at Carnewal. You also need the 993 horn adaptor to make the horn work. It is included with the hub kits the above sell. To fake out the airbag, clip the airbag connector off of your clockspring, wire in the resistor, plug it into the harness (all right there and obvious) and then reconnect everything. Reconnect the battery LAST.

Regarding cruise control, are you talking taking out the stalk (handle) cruise control? You don't loose the stalk system (blinkers etc) if you go aftermarket. Might be a challenging mod and possibly not possible to reroute CC from the stalk controls to the wheel. Not sure about that.

Last edited by Geof3; 02-12-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote