Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

99 Boxster Metal in Combustion Chamber

I have a 99 Boxster that I quit driving after it was accidentally over filled with oil. The oil was changed, spark plugs and filters changed. No metal was found. Car ran but drove roughly. Previous to this the O2 sensors were bad. Crank shaft sensor was changed. Battery was replaced. I hired a mechanic to look the car over and replace the sensors and probably the cats. He opened the engine compartment, using a telescoping magnet he started extracting bits of broken metal pieces from inside the intake of the combustion chamber.

Can anyone tell me what this may be?
He's wanting to remove the engine and I wonder if that's necessary??
I've done research on IMS bearing problem. Is this related?

Alita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #2

If you have ferrous metal inside your intake, it is serious. While the block and heads are alloy, the valves and other internal components are ferrous. You might be able to use a bore scope inserted into the intake to learn more. I seriously doubt this is IMS related, but you will not know until the engine is out and apart.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

As an addition to what JFP says, I seem to recall a few years ago Jake Raby was seeing a number of dropped valve seats which caused all sorts of mayhem to the combustion chamber, although I don't remember if the seats actually broke apart.
Of course, the oil overfill may or may not have caused damage depending upon the additional amount of oil dumped into the sump.
As well as a boroscope and a compression test to isolate the offending cylinder(s), a picture of the offending steel segments may give a clue.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

Garage
Is the mechanic's name Criss Angel? Is he a Porsche mechanic? Pretty amazing to just start picking junk out like that. My BS meter would be going off on this one.

Last edited by 911monty; 09-20-2016 at 04:27 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
How well do you know the mechanic? Does the mechanic really know Boxsters/Porsches specifically?

I would stick the camera down the intake as far as you can. And also pull all six plugs and stick the camera in each of the cylinders. You can turn it over by hand and look for the damage. You can also pull the sump plate and take a look at the filter and oil while your at it. This should answer most of the questions.

If the engine is toast, for whatever reason, you don't need to pull the engine until you decide on what you are going to do to fix it. And where the cash is coming from to pay for it.

If the mechanic pulls the engine, and you need time to find parts, engine, etc. you might be on the hook for storage fees also.

Any chance of a picture of the debris that was pulled out of the intake?

Best of luck to you and the Box.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #6

if there are pieces of metal inside perhaps caused by hydrolock caused by oil overfilled and perhaps sucked into the intake?
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:56 AM   #7
CJM

Did you get to the bottom of this issue Alita? I’m having a similar problem. Interested to hear what your outcome was.
Thanks
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
As an addition to what JFP says, I seem to recall a few years ago Jake Raby was seeing a number of dropped valve seats which caused all sorts of mayhem to the combustion chamber, although I don't remember if the seats actually broke apart.
Of course, the oil overfill may or may not have caused damage depending upon the additional amount of oil dumped into the sump.
As well as a boroscope and a compression test to isolate the offending cylinder(s), a picture of the offending steel segments may give a clue.
That was in later Vario-cam + engines mostly 2002 3.6L
Old 01-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #9

Garage
Just a tip on asking questions on old threads. If you click on the posters user name you can see their public profile which includes the date of their last activity on the forum. The original poster made 1 post 2 1/2 years ago and has not been active since... so don't hold your breath for an answer.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote