986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Lot of rain and wet immobilizer :( (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/74237-lot-rain-wet-immobilizer.html)

Vidyashankara 12-24-2018 12:02 PM

Lot of rain and wet immobilizer :(

We had a lot of rain recently and due to clogged drains, i have some water in the driver seat area. I couldnt get to it in time and the immobilizer probably shorted out.

I took out the seat and looked at the immobilizer today, there was a high degree of corrosion in some parts of the board. I doused it in IPA and dried it out and put it back. The car still isnt working. It does not crank, does not lock, nothing... anything else I can do?

The passenger door is open at all times, Is there anyway for me to lock it so no one can get into the car?

Also, whats the cheapest method for me to fix this? I know getting a replacement is expensive. Can I buy used set of DME, alarm box and locks online?

Please help,
Vidhu

rick3000 12-24-2018 01:29 PM

You can try to have it cleaned/repaired. If it was only wet for a short period there is probably a good chance it can be salvaged. No affiliation: ecudoctors.com

thstone 12-24-2018 07:11 PM

Option 1: Have the IMU repaired.
Option 2: Buy a replacement IMU and have it programmed to match the ECU and key transponder.
Option 3: Buy a used, matched set of ECU, IMU, and key transponder.

Costs will vary so its hard to say which option is the cheapest. Get quotes and do some searching to find the best deal.

You should be able to lock the passenger door from the inside and then lock the drivers door from the outside using the mechanical key in the door lock.

itsnotanova 12-25-2018 05:14 AM

I replied back to your inquire on my thread. I have a M531 and M535 immobilizer set for $400+shipping. I'm guessing you have a M535 as you say your right door is unlocked. Generally from what I've seen M531's have keyed locks on both sides as where the M535 only has one on the driver's side. You'll need to verify what immobilizer you have but most boxsters have the M535. Another option is to contact Qmalas on this forum and see if he can repair it. Many people have had good success with him fixing their wet immobilizers. If you text me at 512-925-9171, I can give you his number

Vidyashankara 12-25-2018 08:05 AM

Thanks Guys! I will contact you for the number/parts shortly,itsnotanova.

I took things apart today and found out that I had not connected the IMU properly. The blue connector disconnected itself.

But I was able to get the car started. However, the locks, and windows dont work. I am able to car the car, operate the hood. Is this because only part of the circuit was water logged?

Vidyashankara 12-25-2018 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 586058)
I replied back to your inquire on my thread. I have a M531 and M535 immobilizer set for $400+shipping. I'm guessing you have a M535 as you say your right door is unlocked. Generally from what I've seen M531's have keyed locks on both sides as where the M535 only has one on the driver's side. You'll need to verify what immobilizer you have but most boxsters have the M535. Another option is to contact Qmalas on this forum and see if he can repair it. Many people have had good success with him fixing their wet immobilizers. If you text me at 512-925-9171, I can give you his number

I do have the M535. If I change the set, does it change the VIN etc of the car on the software side of things?

Vidyashankara 12-25-2018 10:56 AM

My windows are up maybe 90% and there is a gap at the top. It does drop a bit more when i open the doors. But there is a gap after I close the doors. Is there is way I can bring up the window? I park my car outside and its gonna rain the day after. What do I do?

Vidyashankara 12-25-2018 11:38 AM

i was able to close the windows by repeatedly opening and closing the doors. I had to do this maybe 20-30 times, but each time it raised the windows a bit more. Atleast I am fine for the next few days of rain and snow :)

I also noticed that the windows dont drop when i try to open the roof.

The non-working power locks, power windows are typical of the immobilizer being fried?

itsnotanova, i did text you, please ping me if you have qmalas number, I will try reaching him to fix my box. If that doesnt work, I will get the M535 set.