Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #1

Check engine light on, OBD won’t communicate

I’m having an intermittent CEL pop up. I tried getting the code scanned at autozone but their reader won’t mate up.

I just had a Porsche tech use his personal snapon tool and it also wouldn’t connect. There IS power at the OBD port.

Note this car originally had a water damaged immobilizer under the seat. I changed that out and the trunk one with a matching set. Not sure if that has anything to do with this problem.

I’ve put over 20k miles on the car since. The CEL didn’t appear until recently. The replacement units I swapped in were perfect match year, 5 speed, etc.

aviorperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #2

I'm not sure if this helps but a friend was experiencing obd2 port failure with his Saab wagon. He'd installed upgraded software supplied by a vendor and the port would no longer recognize his reader. Uninstalling the third party software and disconnecting the battery reset the obd and his reader now worked and the car passed smog. I don't know if simply disconnecting the battery would help your situation or if it's something software related.

Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote