986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Boxster 2.7 Engine Out -- Whats Next?? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/74128-boxster-2-7-engine-out-whats-next.html)

gti13 12-14-2018 07:35 PM

Boxster 2.7 Engine Out -- Whats Next??

I work at a dealership and they took in a base 2002 Boxster 5 speed as a trade, I was able to grab it for a good price. It seems stock aside from a Fabspeed Catback Exhaust. After getting it the first thing I did (before even driving it) was do an oil change and got the AC working. Yesterday I was finally going to take it home and pretty much 2 miles into my drive the OAS went out and blinded everyone on the street lol.

Was planning on making this my project and get it running well and using it when weather permits but seeming as this happened I decide may as well remove the engine and do what I can whilst its out an accessible.

So the first part which is obvious is the OAS will be changed, I planned on changing out the Spark plugs and coils, installing a new fuel filter aswell. At the same time I will look around for any oil leaks and replace any bad gaskets.

The car had a seemingly high idle so will degunk the throttle

Just wondering what else I should do to the engine whilst its out? that is relatively cheap or may pop up at a later date?

The engine has approx 127k Miles

rfuerst911sc 12-15-2018 03:11 AM

I would replace every vacumn line while you have the engine out , also consider replacing the starter . It's a LOT easier to change the starter with the engine out than when it is in the car .

itsnotanova 12-15-2018 04:12 AM

Timing Chain Rail Set for Solenoid Actuated Chain Adjuster
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1046/POR_1046_ENGCAM_pg2.htm

Starter986 12-15-2018 05:08 AM

Water pump... thermostat... motor mount... transmission mounts... that breather valve associated with the AOS, near the front of the engine... just some of the easy stuff.

NewArt 12-15-2018 05:09 AM

Check the condition of the coolant tank. If it’s old and yellow, it’s an easy job to change with the motor out, not so otherwise.

mikefocke 12-15-2018 12:56 PM

connections between engine and oil and anti-freeze tanks. AOS. IMS and RMS. Motor mount, Belt. Coils, plugs. Clean throttle body. Clean MAF. Header bolts, studs. Air cleaner.

Where do you stop?

thstone 12-15-2018 08:11 PM

Have the fuel injectors cleaned and calibrated.

gti13 02-06-2019 08:28 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, sorry for not updating this, unfortunately they didnt get a free lift and I got tired of waiting so figured it was already broken let me give it a shot. After watching multiple videos on youtube I jacked the car up and got working on it. Initially I couldnt quite see where the bottom below even was so thought let me yank on the AOS and it literally popped off with no effort.

Turns out maybe the clamp someone previously used was loose or not snug due to the amount of crud around it, I managed to get the new one on and was surprised to see no indentation on that bottom pipe for the clamp to grip to.

After I got everything put back together I cranked the car and left it running for a few mins and it was still smoking so removed the throttle and noticed there was alot of oil inside of here, the breather pipe, plenum and the intake mainfold so after cleaning out as much as I could took it for a drive and after about 25 miles it runs alot better with a steady idle

Got a new set of Sumitomo HTR Z III's coming in tomorrow to replace the 6 year old mismatched tires that are on there and I am hoping that will improve the ride and grip as currently its like driving on plastic wheels as it seems to have literally no grip atm

I did notice that my rev counter sits at 500rpms or so when you switch off the car and reads around 500rpms to high whilst the car is running, any ideas on how to fix this as it seems to function correctly aside from being miscalculated from zero

gti13 02-15-2019 03:49 PM

Runs good, however I noticed when I remove the oil cap the engine almost starts to misfire is this normal or symptoms of a badly installed AOS?