986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   GT3 throtte body on a 987 Cayman (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/73984-gt3-throtte-body-987-cayman.html)

jaykay 12-02-2018 09:57 PM

GT3 throtte body on a 987 Cayman

I have noted that the IPD folks offer a comp. plenum utilizing a GT3 TB @ 82mm for a Cayman 3.4. Does this large TB work well with the 3.4? What is the driveability like? I would think it would be great 5K + but that is it.

Perhaps those of you with 3.4, 3.6, 3.8 engines bored out from a 3.2 L and IPD plenums have this set up. Do you use the 74mm TB or the 82mm?

Would the 3.2 IPD plenum / 74mm TB work just as well at the larger displacements?

husker boxster 12-03-2018 04:27 AM

I have the IPD plenum + the 82mm TB on my CSS. I noticed an improvement in mid rpms - 2500 to 4500. Feels like a bit more grunt in that range. But nothing neck snapping. It is my understanding that to really feel the burn, you should include a software upgrade. But I'm reluctant to do a tune because of all the inherent weaknesses in the M97 and feel a tune would just push me quicker to a failure. There's a father-son duo in our club who've done tunes with the famous tuner and both have ended up with issues. The father has a 981 GTS and the son has a 987.2 S. So I'm fine with my extra grunt and nothing more. Was it worth $900? I'm not sure.

YMMV

jaykay 12-04-2018 05:05 PM

Understood....I know a world challenge racer who went through 10 M97 engines in about 4 seasons. I never really am able to get much out of him regarding his mods unless specifically ask and point out things....he had a wicked blown oil cooler set up on top of the engine...etc. Too many sustained high revs and cylinder scoring trying to keep up with camaros and mustangs were all I got of him.

That is very interesting that you felt increased power down low.....this is what I am looking for at the moment.

So I will put this out there: Will the GT3 TB at 82mm and the completion plenum be good for a 3.2?? Obviously, this would be no bueno with out the IPD splitter design. This would also future proof the "equipment" should a 3.2 turn into a 3.6 in the future:D.

husker boxster 12-05-2018 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 584668)
Too many sustained high revs and cylinder scoring trying to keep up with camaros and mustangs were all I got of him.

That's why I shift at 6K rpm. Redline runs stretch the rod bolts resulting in rod bearing failures. At 6K, you're already past peak torque so no need to venture higher.