Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2018, 11:48 AM   #1

changing alarm battery

Hi Forum - I have a 2000 2.7 and am having the usual electrical problems. I have a charger coming on for an hour every day to keep the battery topped up so the alarm doesn't go off. Someone told me the trouble is that the alarm battery located under the passenger seat needs to be replaced. I think the seat needs to come out, but does this battery need changing regularly, and does it receive a charge from the main battery or the alternator? It's a new main battery but if the charge is taken from the alternator only it would mean the car is not being driven enough. Is it a simple job to replace the alarm battery, and is it the same as the main battery that by turning the key to the first position it stops the alarm going off while making the switch? Thanks, Barry.

chevyfiftynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #2

Uh, nope... no alarm battery except the one in the FOB. What IS under your drivers seat is the immobilizer. If you are having electronics issues it is possible you have a problem. Do a search as there are extensive threads on the immobilizer and related issues.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Uh, nope... no alarm battery except the one in the FOB. What IS under your drivers seat is the immobilizer. If you are having electronics issues it is possible you have a problem. Do a search as there are extensive threads on the immobilizer and related issues.
Sorry, but the UK cars have a second battery for the alarm system.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Sorry, but the UK cars have a second battery for the alarm system.
Learn something every day. Why though? Is that some sort of Euro law/requirement?
Old 11-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Learn something every day. Why though? Is that some sort of Euro law/requirement?
No idea. We know about it because we have seen a couple of UK cars over here.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
No idea. We know about it because we have seen a couple of UK cars over here.
Hmm? Interesting. Now I’m even more curious.