986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Hood won't release (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/73684-hood-wont-release.html)

aussieboxy 11-05-2018 05:53 PM

Hood won't release

I put a tent in the front & it was a little tight but compressed & closed ok.

Now I can't open it.

I have the model before the electronic mechanism & have tried pulling the emergency release cable as well.

Have tried having someone push down on hood as release cable is pulled but it just won't shift.

Any idea's guys?

Cheers

black_box 11-06-2018 12:06 PM

Not sure if it's the same "emergency release" you mentioned, but I was able to open the "frunk" on my 200O 986 by pulling on the headlight, and getting at the cable behind it.

aussieboxy 11-06-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_box (Post 582498)
Not sure if it's the same "emergency release" you mentioned, but I was able to open the "frunk" on my 200O 986 by pulling on the headlight, and getting at the cable behind it.

Yeh that's the one. The stainless cable.

harrg67 11-06-2018 02:29 PM

I probably had the worst case scenario, where the immobilizer was dead and I couldn't use the fuse box to power the electric hood release. The emergency release wouldn't move it at all. It turns out that the rubber grommet that held the end of the emergency release cable to the release lever had broken apart and was loose in the connector. I ended up removing every bumper cover fastener I could get to, then going up behind it with my arm to reach in with a screwdriver to release the catch.

Starter986 11-06-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_box (Post 582498)

I've seen that recommendation many times, and it begs the question:

How do you pull on the headlight if access to remove the headlight is... uh... from inside the frunk?

harrg67 11-06-2018 05:10 PM

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had a problem with that paradox!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 582517)

How do you pull on the headlight if access to remove the headlight is... uh... from inside the frunk?

aussieboxy 11-06-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrg67 (Post 582506)
I probably had the worst case scenario, where the immobilizer was dead and I couldn't use the fuse box to power the electric hood release. The emergency release wouldn't move it at all. It turns out that the rubber grommet that held the end of the emergency release cable to the release lever had broken apart and was loose in the connector. I ended up removing every bumper cover fastener I could get to, then going up behind it with my arm to reach in with a screwdriver to release the catch.

I got the front bar off enough to see the latch but can't get it to move

itsnotanova 11-07-2018 03:59 AM

If you have a base (no third radiator) and skinny arms you can reach up through the hole on the bottom of the bumper cover and reach the hood latch cable

Starter986 11-07-2018 04:05 AM

Quote:

C'mon guys.

harrg67 11-07-2018 05:34 AM

This is what I did, though I had to use a screwdriver since the cable wouldn't move the latch. Basically reach up behind the bumper cover back towards the latch and move the latch lever itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 582545)
If you have a base (no third radiator) and skinny arms you can reach up through the hole on the bottom of the bumper cover and reach the hood latch cable

Burg Boxster 11-07-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 582546)
C'mon guys.

Well, one way is to remove right front wheel and wheel liner. Then simply rotate the retaining bar holding the light pod in from there. Another reason to ditch wheel locks should you still be using them. Or you can simply just pull the wire from in there instead.

That said, on my old 997 there was also an emergency release wire for rear deck lid under left taillight. Same design as front, essentially. The manual instructions were to fish around w/ a small hook under the rear taillight assembly for the end loop in the wire and free it from there. Could try same w/ front but there are obviously more obstacles in there like headlight washer tubes, light tray, retainer bar, wires, etc. If you try this method, remember the wire comes from the hood latch and tucks behind the headlight pod on the inside not outside. So you'll have better luck 'fishing' closer towards frunk than fender.

Good luck :)

Starter986 11-07-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 582551)
Well, one way is to remove right front wheel and wheel liner. Then simply rotate the retaining bar holding the light pod in from there. Another reason to ditch wheel locks should you still be using them. Or you can simply just pull the wire from in there instead.

That said, on my old 997 there was also an emergency release wire for rear deck lid under left taillight. Same design as front, essentially. The manual instructions were to fish around w/ a small hook under the rear taillight assembly for the end loop in the wire and free it from there. Could try same w/ front but there are obviously more obstacles in there like headlight washer tubes, light tray, retainer bar, wires, etc. If you try this method, remember the wire comes from the hood latch and tucks behind the headlight pod on the inside not outside. So you'll have better luck 'fishing' closer towards frunk than fender.

Thank you. I guess I'd better get that in order (preemptively).

Burg Boxster 11-07-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 582557)
Thank you. I guess I'd better get that in order (preemptively).

Well... since you are not having the issue at present... the BEST recommendation would be to simply reroute your emergency release cable to the tow hook area. Then in event of needing to use it you can just pop out the tow hook cover and pull the wire.

aussieboxy 01-09-2019 04:20 PM

Still no release

Haven't had a chance to get back onto this yet.

I have a center radiator installed so can't get to the back of the lock mechanism.

The emergency cable won't release the lock & I'm lost for idea's.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Blackcloud 01-10-2019 12:34 PM

How hot is it where your car is parked? Summer in Australia now. I had a problem with my frunk not opening in very hot sunny weather. I took it for a ride, and the cool air seemed to help. The latch opened as it should. I know it sounds weird, but something expanding with the heat is restricting the cable, or the cable may be stretched. Try to cool off the frunk latch mechanism. It worked for me. Just a shot in the dark, I will probably be called crazy by all the gurus on this site. It’s ok. If I can help it’s fine. Once it opens, inspect the cable and release mechanism. Lube them too. Do this for the trunk as well. Good luck

Starter986 01-10-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 582578)
Well... since you are not having the issue at present... the BEST recommendation would be to simply reroute your emergency release cable to the tow hook area. Then in event of needing to use it you can just pop out the tow hook cover and pull the wire.

Great idea, thank you. I'll next be pulling the front bumper cover to do that.

Cheers!

aussieboxy 01-10-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 587154)
How hot is it where your car is parked? Summer in Australia now. I had a problem with my frunk not opening in very hot sunny weather. I took it for a ride, and the cool air seemed to help. The latch opened as it should. I know it sounds weird, but something expanding with the heat is restricting the cable, or the cable may be stretched. Try to cool off the frunk latch mechanism. It worked for me. Just a shot in the dark, I will probably be called crazy by all the gurus on this site. It’s ok. If I can help it’s fine. Once it opens, inspect the cable and release mechanism. Lube them too. Do this for the trunk as well. Good luck

I thought of that too. Have tried at night as well as during the day & sprayed it with lubricant. Still no joy.

Anker 01-11-2019 06:12 AM

I had that problem at autocross events. Got a replacement latch from Woody and that fixed the problem. Also discovered that one of my cooling fans was dead, so that may have contributed to the problem. Its very easy to replace the latch.

Unknown986 01-11-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussieboxy (Post 582438)
I put a tent in the front & it was a little tight but compressed & closed ok.

Now I can't open it.

I have the model before the electronic mechanism & have tried pulling the emergency release cable as well.

Have tried having someone push down on hood as release cable is pulled but it just won't shift.

Any idea's guys?

Cheers

Have someone put a hand on either side and push down and side to side while you pull the E release. I had this happen once on a buddies car and we found that worked till we could swap the latch assembly.

Geof3 01-11-2019 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 582578)

Once opened, do this. 100%