Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Cool Yes, Another Spark Plug Question???

All,

After talking to Bosch this week I learned the FR7LDC and the FR7LDC4 plugs have been replaced by FR7LDC+. I'm sure there are plenty of the original two versions left in stock at many of the distributors/stores. Bosch told me they no longer have any in stock and recommended I use the newer version. They said it contains Yttrium for wear resistance.

I bought 6 new plugs (FR7LDC+) and am wondering what is the proper gap. The box claims the factory setting is 0.9 mm (0.036 inches). By my calculation 0.9 mm is closer to 0.035 inches, but the box reads 0.036. Is the correct gap for a 2000 2.7? The Bosch site claims that the factory setting is correct for most applications, but may need adjustment for some vehicles.

I've never adjusted a dual electrode plug and would like to avoid doing so if the factory setting is correct and my plugs are correctly gapped from the factory. I plan on checking them to be sure.

BTW, this is a copper based plug. I bought them from NAPA for a little over $6 a piece. 7402 is the part number that NAPA recognizes.

TIA,

ddb

Last edited by ddb; 09-02-2006 at 09:04 AM.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:41 PM   #2

Do not know this plug.

Your car came with a 4 side electrode plug. The Bosch part number is FGR 6 KQC.

The 2.5s use a 2 sideelectrode plug, Bosch FR 7 LDC4.

I think the 987 has a nickel-yttrium plug, Bosch FGR 5 KQEO.

Can you post a picture of the plug and the box?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. Well, I don't know if I have the right plugs or not. I had read that I needed a FR7LDC or FR7LDC4 for my 2000 2.7. When I started researching these plugs, I found that they had been replaced by the FR7LDC+, which I eventually installed.

I checked the factory adjusted gaps and found them to be inconsistent from side to side. I made them consistent at 0.035 inches. Don't know if that is the correct gap, but the car is running well. If anyone knows this is the wrong gap, please let me know.

Sorry but I installed the plugs before I was able to take a picture. They are dual- electrode plugs. I do have a picture of the box, but am unable to upload it for some reason. I will be glad to e-mail you the picture if you would like.

Thanks,

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote