Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #1

More audio upgrade questions

2002 S with six-speaker amp system. I want to upgrade the hu to accommodate an ipod and Bluetooth for streaming and hands-free calls. Trying to keep this as simple as possible and within my limited skills. So, two approaches...

Just replace the hu. Is installation as simple as unplugging the old and connecting the new -- all at the back the of the new radio? This means I keep using the factory amp, which may be a really bad idea.

Or plug in a new hu with decent power and bypass/remove the amp, which, if I understand this properly, means pulling the speaker wires off the amp in the frunk and routing them into the car and into the back of the new hu.

If the new hu has decent power, is running it through the existing amp just a bad idea because it will actually make the sound quality worse?

Any advice? Any recommendations on head units?

jandr95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

Yes. The 6-channel Haes amp is 40W per channel. Your head unit should be more than that, and hooking it up directly will be better. Are your speakers originals? If so, be sure to check the paper cones in the dash and shelf speakers. Mine had almost no paper left, and were replaced. Door subs are poly cones at 18 years are still good. Front and rear speakers are 4-ohm. Doors are 2-ohm. Make sure your system setup matches for max performance. Have fun! BTW, I kept my CDR-220 and installed a new amp. The difference in sound will surprise you.

2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote