986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   If it ain’t broke, break it! (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/72404-if-ain%92t-broke-break.html)

NewArt 06-04-2018 08:35 AM

If it ain’t broke, break it!

Sad but true. Looking for a small vacuum leak I discovered that my vacuum reservoir was toast. No problem, says I. I’ll just swap in a new one. So I button it back up figuring I’ll drive it as is until I can get the part, it does run fine actually. So I closed her up, turned the key and, you guessed it, it won’t even run! Popping and backfiring and dies immediately! Oh Fu-darn, says I. Major leak now, I guess. So, I guess that the best way to proceed is to remove the intake manifold to verify all the tubes, switches and oil filler tube. Any guiding lights? :(

NewArt 06-04-2018 02:23 PM

So far, broken aos tube, faulty black and white check valve, cracked (probably) vacuum reservoir...
Well, I guess that could explain some shyte. :rolleyes:

Jgkram 06-04-2018 03:13 PM

I know that making videos must be a real pain but have enjoyed your upgrade "journey" immensely. Ever thought about continuing your videos as you plow your way through this latest set of problems? Good luck...

thstone 06-04-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 572067)
If it ain't broke, break it

I think that we all feel your pain. I always factor at least one self-damaged part into every job that I do! :o

NewArt 06-04-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgkram (Post 572096)
I know that making videos must be a real pain but have enjoyed your upgrade "journey" immensely. Ever thought about continuing your videos as you plow your way through this latest set of problems? Good luck...

Thanks! Yeah, I’ll try to cobble something together if it would be of some help to people. It just may need some extreme editing so you won’t have to suffer through 10 minutes of carefully chosen expletives! :eek:

Gilles 06-04-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 572100)
I think that we all feel your pain. I always factor at least one self-damaged part into every job that I do! :o

My wife always makes fun of me because whenever I do any kind of repair, there is always some kind of collateral damage.. :-(

986bsdriver 06-04-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 572106)
My wife always makes fun of me because whenever I do any kind of repair, there is always some kind of collateral damage.. :-(

Sometimes I’m afraid to do things because of the collateral damage. My headers took 6 months before I had the courage to handle broken bolts that never came.

I’d love to see a video of the manifolds coming off as I intend to change all the vacuum lines eventually.