986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   anti-seize or? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/71514-anti-seize.html)

jandr95 03-28-2018 10:44 AM

anti-seize or?

The bolts that hold my front calipers in place (02 Boxster S) and the screw holding the brake line bracket to the strut tower have a blue substance on the threads. Based on mileage, I'm guessing this is the first time they've been removed. So, is this an anti-seize compound or a thread locker? Should I be applying this substance when I reassemble? What do you guys think? I will torque them down to factory specs.

Lew 03-28-2018 11:01 AM

If it were me, I would clean those bolt threads good and apply the blue thread lock and torque.
You will feel better knowing they won't back out......it's the ticket!

JFP in PA 03-28-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jandr95 (Post 566371)
The bolts that hold my front calipers in place (02 Boxster S) and the screw holding the brake line bracket to the strut tower have a blue substance on the threads. Based on mileage, I'm guessing this is the first time they've been removed. So, is this an anti-seize compound or a thread locker? Should I be applying this substance when I reassemble? What do you guys think? I will torque them down to factory specs.

ABSOLUTELY use anti seize on the calipers, NOT thread locker. Do a search for the number of people that have had to either have time-serts or Helicoil installations on the calipers, or had to replace the calipers when the alloy threads came out attached to the bolts. Anytime you are in doubt, reach for the anti seize over thread locker; there are relatively few fasteners on these cars that need thread locker.

Anker 03-28-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 566374)
ABSOLUTELY use anti seize on the calipers, NOT thread locker. Do a search for the number of people that have had to either have time-serts or Helicoil installations on the calipers, or had to replace the calipers when the alloy threads came out attached to the bolts. Anytime you are in doubt, reach for the anti seize over thread locker; there are relatively few fasteners on these cars that need thread locker.

+1 Agree 100%

Geof3 03-28-2018 02:02 PM

Yeah not sure I’ve ever used thread locker on any caliper bolt. Anti-seize for sure.

jaykay 03-28-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 566379)
+1 Agree 100%

Believe Rennline sells a stud conversion kit to mitigate just this problem......I would be interested in whether they spec thread locker....:D

356Guy 03-28-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 566383)
Believe Rennline sells a stud conversion kit to mitigate just this problem......I would be interested in whether they spec thread locker....:D

Thats a good idea if you track your car often. Their kit comes with thread locker.

lkchris 04-03-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 566382)
Yeah not sure I’ve ever used thread locker on any caliper bolt. Anti-seize for sure.

Not sure I've ever seen a German car that didn't arrive from factory with threadlocker on brake caliper mount screws. Mercedes all do, as did your 986.

This is the reason the official service procedures call for replacement of these screws rather than reuse ... so you get a screw with preapplied threadlocker. Think maybe the Porsche 986 versions may stretch as well ... so again, replace, don't reuse.