Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
b0xt0La

Engine misfire and some awful noise

Sometimes when I start the car it's a little bit rough then it smoothes out as I rev the engine. According to consumerguide.com, that could be the problem:

Quote:
Engine misfire: An engine miss might be caused by water in the air-cleaner housing. A water-separator bowl must be installed in the housing intake. (1997)
Has anyone had this problem before and was succeful fixing it? Another problem is a screeching noise when I start the car sometimes. My friend tells me it could be the starter frozen up or needs to be lubricated. Feedback appreciated. Thnx

Jacob

Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:39 PM   #2
Support Local Music

hmmm....hard to say.

The air cleaner intake pipe is long maybe close to 2 foot and on the models I've seen it has sound chamber right before the throttle body along with having a little "dip" in the middle of the pipe. So, I don't think water would be able to get there.

If you've ever power washed your engine on a nissan or whatever at the car wash and not covered the air cleaner and distributor you will definetly get that symptom until the cap dries.

Perhaps, the points on the inside of the distributor cap are dirty?
Maybe, water is getting into the cap or the spark plug wires? Is the coolant level correct?

Screeching:

Hmmmm.. not too many things can make noise.

-The main polyrib belt on the engine. Basically, everything that has a pulley is connected to it. It may be worn or glazed over.

-Power steering pump.

-Starter.

-AC compressor.

I would guess the main belt.

Does turn the AC on make the same noise ever? Does turning steering wheel to a far side hard cause the same sound?

If it is the starter what usually makes the sound is when you turn on the starter it pushes out a gear and that gear can get chipped teeth. If the teeth are messed up every once in a while you should have problems starting the car.

good luck....
red*farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:46 AM   #3

I have the momentary screeching on starting up sometimes too. Not often, but at least once every 2 weeks or so. Has to be starter related somehow. I don't think it is belts though, I had new belts put on at the 60K service and I still get it.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 05:23 AM   #4
Support Local Music

The teeth on the starter are softer than the the gear teeth they engage on. You probably have maybe 1-2 chipped/missing teeth out of maybe 16 total.

Every once in a while the starter gear "flys" out to engage the motor gear and when it returns to the starter it sets just perfectly so that on the next time out it engages the motor with the chipped teeth first. \big bad noise

Normally, a the stater has 2 bolts holding it in. If you take it off you will know right away if it is going bad.

I thought I saw a picture of a starter some whene but was wrong it had this though....Which fits into the water issue. Maybe a bad/loose clamp somewhere?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

New Engine Coolant Bleeder Hose Connections [grp1 11/97 1943 10/21/97] 1pg
Engines as of Model Year '98 (W) have a modified routing of the coolant bleeder pipe from engine to coolant reservoir.

The bleeder pipe will no longer be connected to the top engine coolant housing connection. The new bleeder line will be a hose that is connected to the top of the oil cooler assembly. The new hose is routed around the starter motor and connects to the coolant reservoir coupling hose. The connection and fastening of the hose will be made with the spring-type hose clamps.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:29 AM   #5
b0xt0La

What if some of the teeth are chipped, do I have to replace the starter to get rid of the noise?
Old 01-31-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
Support Local Music

yep, unless you can get that part seperately.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #7
b0xt0La

I think I know the reason for the whine now. I hope it's this one and not a damaged starter:

http://www.986faq.com/10-0/problems.asp#014