986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   98 Boxster Instrument Cluster Stays On (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/71280-98-boxster-instrument-cluster-stays.html)

Wolf 03-06-2018 05:12 PM

98 Boxster Instrument Cluster Stays On

Just noticed today, after I turned off the car there wasa continuous beeping, as if I had unbuckled the seatbelt or the startup beeping. If I close the door it goes away, but the car will not lock electronically (pretty much a hard lock if that makes sense) but will unlock at the same time electronically. I can’t find anything left on in the car(the radio I keep off because it doesnt really work and the air is off).

After looking this up, the only real conclusion I could find is that the ignition switch could be going bad. I’m just not sure which to start with, the $10 switch or buy the now $275 assembly that i’m not sure works with my model.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

tommy583 03-06-2018 06:47 PM

I would start with the switch. Mine acts like that when it's cold outside. It acts like the key is still in it.

Wolf 03-06-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 564607)
I would start with the switch. Mine acts like that when it's cold outside. It acts like the key is still in it.

Does it drain your battery? I went out about 30 mins ago to check and saw the interior lights were on and the dash was off, car was unlocked.

tommy583 03-06-2018 07:13 PM

No mine always turns off after a few minutes. I would put money on the switch. I'm on my 3rd one and this one will need to be changed when I get the car out in the spring. The colder it gets the more it sticks. If yours stays on that long I would either disconnect the battery or try a hair dryer to warm the switch up. Just don't melt your dash :eek:

Brian in Tucson 03-06-2018 07:27 PM

Mine did that. You'd pull the key and not hear the audible click and the power circuits would stay on. Mine is an 01, I sprayed brake clean in. worked the key in and out which broke up the greasy smutz and dirt, spray it in again to wash the stuff out, I then squirt trilube in, but any gun lube will do. Keep working the key and eventually it will free itself up.

Mine works right every time now.

tommy583 03-06-2018 07:56 PM

Good tip. I wouldn't advise the heat gun treatment after you spray it lol.

Wolf 03-07-2018 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 564609)
No mine always turns off after a few minutes. I would put money on the switch. I'm on my 3rd one and this one will need to be changed when I get the car out in the spring. The colder it gets the more it sticks. If yours stays on that long I would either disconnect the battery or try a hair dryer to warm the switch up. Just don't melt your dash :eek:

Good tip, I’ll run by advanced auto today and see if they have one otherwise order from Pelican Parts. Thanks for the assistance Tom. Have a good day!