Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2018, 03:30 AM   #21

Could you post photos looking into the inlet pipes and tips? I just received a Dansk sound version and was surprised to find it is a straight through perferated pipe design. Not chambered like oem.

roundel325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #22

Internal pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel325 View Post
Could you post photos looking into the inlet pipes and tips? I just received a Dansk sound version and was surprised to find it is a straight through perferated pipe design. Not chambered like oem.
Here's the best I could do with my iPhone and a flashlight.

The Brombacher appears to be a 'hybrid' design. Each side is straight through a perforated pipe to its own outlet, but there is some type of crossover pipe or connection pipe leading into some other internal structure inside the muffler (crossover, chambers + crossover, portal into another dimension, . . . ???).

The first pic shows the bend into the outlet pipe and the interior connection pipe leading to ???:

The second pic is a better shot of the internal pipe join:

The third pic is shining the flashlight into the tail pipe outlet and taking the pic from the inlet. This confirms the 'straight through' aspect for each side in addition to the internal connection pipe:

Each side is identical except for weld variance. Let the speculation begin
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-25-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #23

Dansk

Thanks for obliging my curiosity!

For comparison, here are shots of the Dansk 94.300SEXP.

The inlet bends slightly upward, passes through ~5" of perforated pipe, then sweeps back downward, crossing through (or equalizing with) the other bank pipe before exiting.

This muffler accepts the stock 03-04 removable exhaust tips. It's going on my '99 2.5l, so I'm happy to be able to mount an oval tip.

Can't wait for spring to bolt this guy on!

Last edited by roundel325; 02-24-2018 at 07:37 PM.
roundel325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:01 AM   #24

Muffler weigh-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel325 View Post
Thanks for obliging my curiosity!. . .
You’re welcome. Interesting to see that the Brombacher and Dansk do have different internal designs.

Here’re the weights for the three mufflers I have in hand. All weighed with our trusty electronic luggage scale which has proven reasonably accurate across the years.

- Borla: 19.7 lbs (with welded c pipes to connect to cats and welded bracket - ready to install, no additional parts required except cat pipe clamps). To note, the Borla welded bracket bolts directly to the transmission, so there are a few lbs of additional savings because the heavy Porsche transmission bracket and muffler top bracket/isolators are deleted. Mounted, the Borla is easily 10 lbs lighter than stock.
- Brombacher: 24.5 lbs (without top bracket/isolators, clamps or c pipes)
- Stock 550 SE: 27.4 lbs (without exhaust tip, top bracket/isolators, clamps or c pipes)

So, installed, the Brombacher is ~4-5 lbs lighter than stock w/tip and it is ~5-7 lbs heavier than the Borla according to my measurements. YMMV.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-25-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #25
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Good stuff. I still have my stock 550 muffler and I mounted the SE tip on my Porsche tribute wall. I never took the time to weigh the FVD or the stock muffler. Nice to know I dropped a few pounds outta my rear end. ��

The higher grade of stainless steel let’s them drop a few pounds and maintain strength while keeping the drone away. Remember that the stock muffler design is part of the harmonic balancing of the power train. That’s why all those aftermarket two muffler setups don’t work. This is well documented in every Boxster history book and and in “Excellence Was Expected.”
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #26

Installed the Brombacher today. Started the 986 on the Quickjack to check for leaks (none). Sounds more ‘solid’ and much quieter at idle than the Borla. I can already tell that I’m going to be a happy camper.

As an aside, I really don’t see how anyone can install a standard size muffler like this without removing the rear bumper cover, rear bumper w/heat shield and the rear fender skirts w/heat shields. Especially because these parts are so easy to remove.

Here’s a couple of pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post

As an aside, I really don’t see how anyone can install a standard size muffler like this without removing the rear bumper cover, rear bumper w/heat shield and the rear fender skirts w/heat shields. Especially because these parts are so easy to remove.
I did this. It got to the point where I knew it would be so much easier without the bumper on but I figured I had gotten that far with it on that I might as well finish it with it on, if that makes sense. It was the biggest PITA job I have ever done on any car. I vowed to never touch the muffler ever again. But if I were, I'd probably go with one of these or the fister.

Let us what you think of it!
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #28
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
It's going to be in the mid 50's for the next few days......So you better take it out for a spin with the new muffler
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
It's going to be in the mid 50's for the next few days......So you better take it out for a spin with the new muffler
I’d love to except. . .no wheels. They’re ready but I can’t make it to Albany until Wednesday to pick them up
Old 02-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
I did this. It got to the point where I knew it would be so much easier without the bumper on but I figured I had gotten that far with it on that I might as well finish it with it on, if that makes sense. It was the biggest PITA job I have ever done on any car. I vowed to never touch the muffler ever again. But if I were, I'd probably go with one of these or the fister.

Let us what you think of it!
Will do. Kudos for being able to do the muffler change with the bumper on
Old 02-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #31
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Now....

...get ready for those FVD tips to turn gold after a few cycles.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #32
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
I’d love to except. . .no wheels. They’re ready but I can’t make it to Albany until Wednesday to pick them up
Uggg. If I could get the day off from work i'd drive down there and put my wheels on your car.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Will do. Kudos for being able to do the muffler change with the bumper on
I did replace my original muffler with PSE without taking rear bumper off.... My axles and shocks were out to replace wheel bearings so some access but still took some swearing, and did I mention it is sooo heavy?

But you know it is worth the effort, a year later I still smile just looking at it, and it sounds very pleasing.

So yours is internally bypassed, right? Looking forward to sound clip!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #34

Do we get a sound clip soon? Lol. Looks nice mounted up.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #35

Garage
Old Carguy: After researching and synthesizing the data regarding which exhaust to upgrade to, uou've inspired me to decide on my exhaust upgrade--Brombacher it is!
Old 02-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Old Carguy: After researching and synthesizing the data regarding which exhaust to upgrade to, uou've inspired me to decide on my exhaust upgrade--Brombacher it is!
Hi Ciao, I hope you’ll be as happy with your choice as I am. I almost went with the Fabspeed but I just liked the sound and design of the Brombacher better (based on the web videos I found), and the positive comments from 10/10ths and others
Old 02-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Thanks, sound video coming as soon as I can convince my camera person to join me on a quick run!
Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 AM   #38

I just ordered a FVD Brombacher (sound version). Going to be interesting to hear it in action! 🤘🤠🤘
square-root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #39

You are going to like it..!

I will be puting mine for sale shortly as I am no longer have my 987.. (long and sad story)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Haven’t forgotten the sound clip. Our 1/2 mile private road still has sheet ice on some of the steepest sections I’ll make and post the sound clip when spring finally makes its belated arrival.