Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2023, 09:17 AM   #1

986 S Brakes are Breaking Me

Some months ago I when I decided to change my rotors/pads I had the bright idea of doing braided steel lines. Well in doing so I wrecked my right rear hardline. Now 6 months later I finally got the line and replaced it which was not as bad as I'd thought. Let me know if anyone needs the run down on it.

The braided lines Pelican recommended rub against the rear tires. I have the widest option and I believe the offset on my wheels is the same as the carerra set I had when I bought the car. I decided to go back to the rubber in the rear atleast (one of my front line nuts is toast lol and will be a big job). The problem I have is that the part number for the rear rubber line results in everyone selling them as "front or rear" and well the rear rubber lines I bought rub the tire too....

What am I doing wrong here? I have no idea why the stainless lines seem too long, I trusted Pelican. I doubly have no idea why the OEM line seems too long. Any help is appreciated.

HorsiesInDaBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 02:46 PM   #2

I was worried about mine so I used an inch of 1/4” silicone hose and a zip tie to tie it in where the nearby ABS line does a bend, tied to the leading edge of the strut. I figure if wheel doesn’t touch the strut it shouldn’t touch those lines either.
This would be much easier to explain with a picture
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 03:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

Looks like 996 355 139 01 is the current fitment both front and rear (except for the 97 model year, which shows as 996 355 139 00).

Thinking it thru - are you sure the termination of the new hard line is in the correct location?

Last edited by tcoradeschi; 12-26-2023 at 03:39 AM.
tcoradeschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoradeschi View Post
Looks like 996 355 139 01 is the current fitment both front and rear (except for the 97 model year, which shows as 996 355 139 00).

Thinking it thru - are you sure the termination of the new hard line is in the correct location?
I am 99.9% certain the hardline terminates in the correct location. It clipped right into all of the retainers during the install. I could've cried it was so beautiful.

I started thinking and one was rubbing while on my quickjacks. Realizing that was full travel I found it did not rub while on the ground. The other (passenger side) I had hardly 1 cm of clearance on the ground. I adjusted the bracket nearest the caliper so that the angle on the bracket better mated to the angle on the wheel carrier. This gave plenty of clearance.

I saw that tarrett makes posts for the brake line bracket and might check them out. I want to change over to caliper studs as well.

HorsiesInDaBack is offline   Reply With Quote