Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

Front Vibration on Turns

I just replaced the entire suspension on my 98 base 5 speed (103k miles). The arms and links weren't too bad, but the shocks were dead. It now drives way nicer, but there is still a little problem with the rear post rework alignment (I discussed in another post-still not resolved). When I make a reasonably hard left turn, there is a vibration and noise that seems to come from the front right side. I am not sure, but it almost seems like the front corner drops at the same time. Its a little scary.

The front alignment is right on spec, and all bolts are torqued per the Bentley manual. Anyone have thoughts or is it time to cave and bring it in to my independent repair guy?

Zibodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Wheel bearing?
Happens during left turn and no braking? or braking?
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #3

i'll have to drive and check again, but I am pretty sure I was braking around the turn. Could I have damaged the bearing in the suspension work or is this just bad timing?
Old 01-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #4

So far I have only noticed it on the left turn. And FYI I did not touch the wheel bearings in the suspension replacement work.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Garage
Rear tires scrubbing because of the bad rear alignment?
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibodo View Post
So far I have only noticed it on the left turn. And FYI I did not touch the wheel bearings in the suspension replacement work.
Sounds like a wheel bearing, they are due after 100K
Old 02-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #7

I figured it out. When I torqued the bolt that links the front track arm to the front control arm, I still had it up on stands. (Even though all the forums said to make sure to do it with weight on the wheels) I now realize that changes the geometry slightly.

The vibration was the track arm rotating on the control arm ever so slightly as it fought friction to move to the correct position. I have since loosened and retorqued the bolts in the correct position and all is well.

There is a message in there to FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS
Old 02-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibodo View Post
I figured it out. When I torqued the bolt that links the front track arm to the front control arm, I still had it up on stands. (Even though all the forums said to make sure to do it with weight on the wheels) I now realize that changes the geometry slightly.

The vibration was the track arm rotating on the control arm ever so slightly as it fought friction to move to the correct position. I have since loosened and retorqued the bolts in the correct position and all is well.

There is a message in there to FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS
Yeah, you definitely want to final torque rubber bits loaded, otherwise you essentially preload the bushings and that can cause some funkiness for sure. Not to mention wearing them out a good bit faster.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote