Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
Rich

Replace or not Replace AOS

My 2000 boxster s has 53000 miles and original AOS. Engine is out of the car....should i replace it now with easy access or is it easy enough when the engine is in the car to replace? Not having any issues with AOS at this time.

Rich XTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #2

If the motor is out, I'd probably go ahead and do it. Never fails, as soon as the motor goes back in, it dies...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
Rich

Yea....its only $100 and i would be pissed if i had to change it right away when i put the engine back after having great access now.
Rich XTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #4

Unfortunately no guarantee that the new one will be better then the old one you are removing . There are enough stories out there of new AOS failing immediately or shortly after being installed . In my opinion SOMEONE has to invent the better mouse trap for the dreaded AOS but playing with emission stuff can get expensive for R+D and patent paperwork . Having said all that I too would install a new one while you have the engine out .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #5

The real problem child in this equation is the aftermarket versions which tend to be either DOA or short lived. Get the latest factory unit.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #6

Garage
AOS is a recurring problem, replacing it now, while it's easy access would reset the clock to zero