986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Porsche Reman'd Engine with upgraded IMS? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/70412-porsche-remand-engine-upgraded-ims.html)

Brian in Tucson 12-17-2017 05:17 AM

Porsche Reman'd Engine with upgraded IMS?

I have an engine in my carport that is supposedly remanufactured by Porsche with an upgraded, less failure prone IMS bearing. It's a 2000 model year, by the engine number. The engine number does carry the code for a reman'd engine, btw. It was represented to me as having 60k on it, btw.

Anyone heard about this program?

BoxsterSteve 12-17-2017 05:28 AM

Porsche did (does?) remanufacture suitable engine cores for resale. If yours has the letters AT in the serial number, it’s a reman.
You can tell the type of IMS bearing installed by the IMS cover and nut. Yours would be the latest style oversized single row bearing if there is a 22mm nut in the centre of the IMS flange.

Anker 12-17-2017 06:02 AM

If its a MY 2000 there's no way it could have the oversize IMS bearing, the engine casing is different.

Gilles 12-17-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 558034)
If its a MY 2000 there's no way it could have the oversize IMS bearing, the engine casing is different.

Anker, I am not expert but I believe that the casing is the same.
However, the last engines that have an IMS (perhaps the rebuilt ones as well) have a bearing with a larger diameter, that you cannot remove through the casing without splitting it open.

mikefocke 12-17-2017 11:01 AM

Do re-manufactured engines done by Porsche sometimes have different IMS assemblies than the submitted for repair engines would have had? Yes.

How can you tell? While the date of re-manufacture will give a clue if you have that, the only sure way to tell is to separate the engine and transmission and look at the external housing that covers the IMS bearing and shaft (flange cover). The design of the housing will tell which it is. Post a picture here and experts who have seen hundreds will tell you.

Is it possible that a Porsche dealer re-manufactured the engine and not the Porsche factory and thus the engine serial number would not bear the re-manufactured mark? Until recently, the Porsche policy was dealers didn't get inside the engines. Replaced engines went back to the Porsche factory for examination and re-manufacture. Recently some Porsche dealers have had their techs trained and have taken on IMS replacements or even complete engine rebuilds. More than likely the rebuild was done by an ex-factory-trained mechanic working outside the dealership network as an independent..

JFP in PA 12-17-2017 12:16 PM

Mike is correct. Any factory reman built after 2005 will most likely carry the oversized third design IMS bearing. It can easily be spotted by the 22MM center bolt as it was the only IMS to use it.

Brian in Tucson 12-18-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 558053)
Mike is correct. Any factory reman built after 2005 will most likely carry the oversized third design IMS bearing. It can easily be spotted by the 22MM center bolt as it was the only IMS to use it.

Thanks guys. It is a 22mm center bolt. Here's a pic:

https://s8.postimg.org/tnpn4r0sl/ims.jpg

:D

And the engine # does include the AT mark.

mikefocke 12-18-2017 10:22 AM

You win!!!

Brian in Tucson 12-18-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke (Post 558145)
You win!!!

Yes, feeling pretty good about the engine. Everything the seller told me has been spot on so far.

Geof3 12-19-2017 02:48 PM

Wow,

That's a reman with that nasty looking flange?

Brian in Tucson 12-19-2017 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 558214)
Wow,

That's a reman with that nasty looking flange?

It's a used reman'd engine. Steel rusts you know.

Geof3 12-19-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 558221)
It's a used reman'd engine. Steel rusts you know.

Gotcha... didn't catch that it had been installed before.