Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 12:38 AM   #1

Replacement A/C magnetic clutch and pulley

My 986 Boxster A/C has stopped working - the footwell relay clicks when I press the AC button, RPM changes very slightly, I've checked the fuses and relay in the rear trunk, and all seems good.

I used to be able to hear the clutch engage behind me but now I can't and the vent temperature isn't cool enough as I remember it was when the AC was working.

A complete compressor is £500 or so from Porsche, Denso or Nissens equivalents are £350, but there is a part number for the magnetic clutch - 996 573 926 00.

I've looked online for the clutch itself but nowhere to be found. Anyone know how I might get hold of one ?

FWIW I'm based in the UK.

dvenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #2

You might ask on boxa.net as it is UK based and folks there should have local knowledge
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:20 AM   #3

Cheers, will do.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #4

Garage
AC Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvenman View Post
Cheers, will do.
were you able to find a clutch replacement? my AC clutch is getting noisy, compressor works fine. don't want to replace the whole compressor if I don't have to. but can't seem to find just the clutch for sale anywhere.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:26 AM   #5

The clutch replacement I couldn't find separately - it's listed in the parts catalog separately but it's more expensive than the whole compressor.

I found a Hella part number - 8FK 351 132-581 - which is a bolt-in replacement, and can be found for about £200 ($280) on eBay.

It turned out, following diagnostics at a local garage, that it wasn't the clutch which was the problem - the two pipes under the right hand side (driver's in the UK) had pinholes in them and needed replacing. Not good, given they had been replaced about 3 years ago.