986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Change the 'you left your lights on' alert volume? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/69635-change-you-left-your-lights-alert-volume.html)

bmsamson 10-21-2017 02:26 PM

Change the 'you left your lights on' alert volume?

Hi. After once again waking to a dead battery, I just have to ask, even if I presume to know the answer.....Is there some secret way to make the 'hey dummy, you left your lights on' chime any louder, so I might actually hear it before I walk away?

Thanks in advance.

911monty 10-21-2017 02:31 PM

My wife has recommended hearing aids to me. :( I need a louder turn signal.

Bebbetufs 10-21-2017 02:55 PM

In Europe,where headlights or running lights must be on at all times, most cars are wired so that the lights turn on with the ignition. In fact all newer cars sold here in Norway has this. Maybe this is a solution to your problems? Yes, you will allways drive with the headlights on, but research shows that it is much safer and that you are much more likely to be seen by other drivers and pedestrians.

grc0456 10-21-2017 05:59 PM

Change the 'you left your lights on' alert volume?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911monty (Post 553098)
My wife has recommended hearing aids to me. [emoji20] I need a louder turn signal.

The Box turn signal is nearly inaudible. I’ve found myself miles after a lane change or soft turn, traveling with with it on - like a senior citizen. No offense to seniors as I am AARP eligible myself. Never happens in my Honda, which has the loud clicking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

particlewave 10-21-2017 10:39 PM

Remove the cluster, remove the speaker from the circuit board, attach 3' long wire leads to the speaker contacts on the board, run those wires to a small 10-20watt mono amplifier (eBay, $10 or so), attach a small 3" speaker to the amp, run power to the amp from the headlight low beam circuit so it's only on when the headlights are on, adjust volume to your preference and hide the amp and speaker behind the dash or lower center stack.

Easy :p

bmsamson 10-23-2017 02:50 PM

Easy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 553129)
Easy :p

Um, thanks? Probably just as "easy" to wire headlights to turn off when the car goes off, then I won't have the issue anymore, but that's probably not happening either.

Guess I'll just stop driving with lights on in daylight. Easy to remember to turn off when parking in the dark.

Anker 10-23-2017 05:35 PM

Implement the fog light DRL hack. I did, and it works like a charm.