986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Belt Tensioner (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/68945-belt-tensioner.html)

achillies 09-14-2017 08:52 AM

Belt Tensioner

Today I was inspecting my drive belt and decided to replace since I was in there. I put the 24mm socket on the bolt and when I tried to lever it over the bolt turned like a normal bolt. No matter how I attacked it it just turned. What am I doing wrong? Seem pretty obvious what you do...lever the tensioner to the left (as you look at it).

Thanks
Bob

harnishclan 09-14-2017 01:28 PM

There is a 15mm nut on the back of the tensioner pulley that might be loose. Put an open end on there and use 24 to tighten it. Then try the 24 to move tensioner again.

achillies 09-14-2017 06:17 PM

Thanks I will try that.

NewArt 09-14-2017 06:51 PM

Um, I think the tensioner rotates to the right (clockwise) to release the tension?

thstone 09-14-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 549795)
Um, I think the tensioner rotates to the right (clockwise) to release the tension?

NewArt is correct. Turn clockwise to release tension.

"To release tension on the belt, simply place a 24mm socket attached to a breaker bar on the idler and turn it clockwise"

Porsche Boxster Drive Belt Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

derfo 09-15-2017 12:46 AM

Belt Tentioner

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 549795)

New Art is correct, I have just removed my alternator to fit a new voltage regulator. To release tension on the belt turn to the right, clockwise.

achillies 09-15-2017 06:59 AM

Yeah he is but it doesnt matter the pully just rotates it doesnt lever the belt. I was looking right at the 101 book instructions and still tried counter clockwise. I will work on my reading comprehension.

Thanks for the replies.

cesarpeji 09-18-2017 05:52 AM

Hey friend, same thin on my belt tensioner, the back nut rotates. did you finally get yours out. how did you do it, so we can replace the belt. let me now the trick. thanks..

cesarpeji 09-18-2017 05:55 AM

I'm planning you put a small vise grip plier on that 15mm nut at the back then when turning the 24MM in the front that back nut will lock at the back as soon as the plier hit that plunger in order for the back nut stop rotating. what had you tried.

Gelbster 09-18-2017 08:39 AM

I have posted on this 15mm nut problem before. The only way to access the nut is to use a very slim 15mm open end wrench behind the pulley .It needs to be exactly the correct length and thickness.
Probably better to remove the entire assembly, replace the pulley+bearing and use red Loctite on the 15mm nut.Let it cure before refitting.
Be careful if you are trying to fit new serp belt. The ultra high quality belts - like Gates may be too stiff to fit when cold. I find the Conti is easier. Whatever brand it must be exactly the correct length. Half an inch too short will not fit. Half an inch too long is sloppy.
Good Luck !

jakeru 09-18-2017 09:33 AM

I had no problem accessing the back bolt head on this tensioner pulley fastener by just using the open end of my trusty Craftsman combination wrench:
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1505755063.jpg

Just make the open-ended wrench is fully seated on the bolt head before applying full torque to remove/reinstall this extremely large (24mm?), special nut. By the way if you don't have a (not common) 24mm socket, I found a 15/16" socket fit nice and snugly, and worked very well.

If you end up removing the nut completely, I'd recommend scraping away any old threadlock goober you find, so you can reassemble (and bring up to full torque) with fresh, clean metal surfaces. You want the full clamp load to travel through the metal surfaces, not through old dried threadlocker.

If one ever wants to remove the fastener in the future without damaging things in the process, I'm not sure that the red (permanent strength) threadlocker is a good idea. Blue threadlocker I think is more appropriate for this high-vibration fastener.

harnishclan 09-18-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeru (Post 550120)
I had no problem accessing the back bolt head on this tensioner pulley fastener by just using the open end of my trusty Craftsman combination wrench:
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1505755063.jpg

Just make the open-ended wrench is fully seated on the bolt head before applying full torque to remove/reinstall this extremely large (24mm?), special nut. By the way if you don't have a (not common) 24mm socket, I found a 15/16" socket fit nice and snugly, and worked very well.

If you end up removing the nut completely, I'd recommend scraping away any old threadlock goober you find, so you can reassemble (and bring up to full torque) with fresh, clean metal surfaces. You want the full clamp load to travel through the metal surfaces, not through old dried threadlocker.

If one ever wants to remove the fastener in the future without damaging things in the process, I'm not sure that the red (permanent strength) threadlocker is a good idea. Blue threadlocker I think is more appropriate for this high-vibration fastener.

Used that same 15mm Craftsman wrench with no problems at all. There is no need for special tools.