986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Cruise control install issues. (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/68914-cruise-control-install-issues.html)

shadrach74 09-12-2017 03:03 AM

Cruise control install issues.

Greetings folks,

After doing a search of cruise control issues, I am fairly convinced that my problems are unique.

I recently took the opportunity to upgrade from eight to stock wiper headlight upgrade from tow stalk wiper/blinker assembly to the four stock unit with OBC and cruise control on my 2002 S.

I used the pelican technical article as a guide. Install was fairly straightforward aside from the cable routing to the trunk. I wasted a lot of time trying to use the factory wire chase, which I think is impossible with the top and cover in place.

After install I had an airbag light (expected as I had to reconnect the battery after accidentally closing the trunk).

The first thing I did after Hooking up the Durametric was turn off the airbag light. This worked just as it should; the airbag light went dark and I move on down the list to activate the cruise and OBC.

Activation of the OBC went fine and I did a check of the available functions and took a few minutes to familiarize myself with the features and also reset my clock.

Activation of the cruise control was a success according to the Durametric. However, the cruise control indicator is not illuminated.

Furthermore, the airbag light came back on during one of the activations.

So I have two issues:

1) Knowing that I was not having an airbag issue prior to the install, I'm pretty sure the issue is not related to the seatbelt sensor so common in these cars. Unfortunately, the Durametric is not detecting any airbag fault even the light keeps coming back. Has anyone experienced anything like this during an install?

2) Also, my post installation research indicates that the wire from the DME to the gauge cluster is unnecessary in my 2002 S. I performed the install with the Gauge/DME wire. Could it be causing a problem with the gauge cluster and possibly contributing to my cruise indicator problem?

Many thanks as always!

cesarpeji 09-12-2017 05:40 AM

2006 box S belt replacement

Any tricks on this issue. When turning the tensioner bolt the 24 mm the back side of the tensioner with that 15 MM also rotate, hence I having problem replacing this belt.

Someone had the same problem with the tensioner and what tricks did you use on the tensioner. So far everything was just fine; just trying to remove the belt in order for me to inspect all my pulley.

Let me know some tricks or I just put JB weld on that 15MM nut behind that tensioner pulley, Please advise. Thanks all Boxster folks.

achillies 09-12-2017 05:40 AM

Only the Pro version of Durametric can activate the cruise. If you are using the enthusiast version you will need to find a Porsche factory diagnostic tool to activate.

shadrach74 09-12-2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achillies (Post 549608)
Only the Pro version of Durametric can activate the cruise. If you are using the enthusiast version you will need to find a Porsche factory diagnostic tool to activate.

Thanks! I have the enthusiast version. It's odd that the option is there and that the Durametric gives you a prompt that says code change complete.

JFP in PA 09-12-2017 01:01 PM

He is correct, only the Pro version will activate the cruise system. I would also venture to say that your spurious air bag MIL is probably related to your wiring setup.

shadrach74 09-12-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 549633)
He is correct, only the Pro version will activate the cruise system. I would also venture to say that your spurious air bag MIL is probably related to your wiring setup.

Interesting. I called Durametric today and they said the enthusiast version has the capability. I'm skeptical though because the activation symbol for the cruise is a question mark.

I do not believe my wiring has anything to do with the airbag light because the airbag light problem manafests itself even with the grey plug on the far left (the one the OBC and cruise are wired into) is unplugged.

JFP, do you guys run the wire from DME to the cluster on the 2001 and newer cars? Some have said it's not needed and or may cause problems.

Thanks!

JFP in PA 09-13-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadrach74 (Post 549657)
Interesting. I called Durametric today and they said the enthusiast version has the capability. I'm skeptical though because the activation symbol for the cruise is a question mark.

I do not believe my wiring has anything to do with the airbag light because the airbag light problem manafests itself even with the grey plug on the far left (the one the OBC and cruise are wired into) is unplugged.

JFP, do you guys run the wire from DME to the cluster on the 2001 and newer cars? Some have said it's not needed and or may cause problems.

Thanks!

We have never run any wires. And from Durametric's own website, "Enable cruise control (requires Pro cable)"......

shadrach74 09-14-2017 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 549686)
We have never run any wires. And from Durametric's own website, "Enable cruise control (requires Pro cable)"......

Thanks JFP!!!

shadrach74 10-04-2017 03:21 AM

Follow up: Cruise and OBC work beautifully but cluster gauge indicator for cruise does not illuminate. Still trouble shooting.

Airbag issue solved - fault was caused by the seatbelt retracter sensor/actuator which I unplugged when I removed the enertia reel to run a wire harness to the DME. I reinstalled everything correctly, but neglected to position a small orange button on the sensor/actuator in the "armed" position. Repositioning the switch illuminated the fault.