986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Trigger Unit Location on Boxster 986 (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/68759-trigger-unit-location-boxster-986-a.html)

mahadevdave 09-08-2017 05:56 AM

Trigger Unit Location on Boxster 986

Hi, I have Airbag light on 2002 Boxster 3.2S, Right hand drive.
I have narrowed down the cause of Airbag staying on to the Trigger Unit. Searching for error codes shows Fault 20, Driver Ignition Circuit. I have checked the clock spring for electrical continuity to Driver Airbag, removal of Driver's Airbag shows Error 21, Drivers airbag. Code erased with code reader on re-connection.
Where is the Trigger Unit?
How can I check to see if it is working?
I do not have access to the 'special tool' 9516 mentioned in the Porsche Technical Manual to check functionality.
Is it possible to replace unit with a secondhand one from another Boxster?
Any advice would be great. Thanks

JFP in PA 09-08-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahadevdave (Post 549319)
Hi, I have Airbag light on 2002 Boxster 3.2S, Right hand drive.
I have narrowed down the cause of Airbag staying on to the Trigger Unit. Searching for error codes shows Fault 20, Driver Ignition Circuit. I have checked the clock spring for electrical continuity to Driver Airbag, removal of Driver's Airbag shows Error 21, Drivers airbag. Code erased with code reader on re-connection.
Where is the Trigger Unit?
How can I check to see if it is working?
I do not have access to the 'special tool' 9516 mentioned in the Porsche Technical Manual to check functionality.
Is it possible to replace unit with a secondhand one from another Boxster?
Any advice would be great. Thanks

On your car, it should be under the center console. It is just a control box, so there is nothing to see. As for Porsche tool 9156, when we bought ours, it was $2K (all up front) and nearly a two year wait to get it (the elves in the Black Forest are union). To swap in a used one, you will need access to a PIWIS unit to code it in.

JFP in PA 09-08-2017 07:50 AM

Fault code 21 points to the steering wheel - likely an open connection to the airbag on the wheel, usually the clock spring.

Fault code 20 -- Status lead, signal converter -- Short to ground

1. Pull plug I off the alarm system control module.
2. Pull off the plug on the signal converter for the transponder.
3. Ohmmeter at alarm system control module plug 1 pin 12 and ground,
Display: Infinite ohms
If display < 5 ohms check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.