986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Terrible bogging, no codes* (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/68319-terrible-bogging-no-codes%2A.html)

truegearhead 08-15-2017 04:19 PM

Terrible bogging, no codes*

*no codes except the airpump which I removed years ago. The car runs great for the first 20 minutes and then looses all power under high load. It's done the same cycle three times now. I did just remove the charcoal canister which could be to blame. Any ideas? Fuel pump or filter? When it's cold it runs perfectly as well unde low load

particlewave 08-15-2017 10:33 PM

If you removed the charcoal canister, where is the fuel tank venting to?

truegearhead 08-16-2017 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 547138)
If you removed the charcoal canister, where is the fuel tank venting to?

It's venting to the outside air. The line and connector is just tucked into the fender well. I tried running with no fuel cap and have the same problem. Of course I'm two days away from the VIR August event.

particlewave 08-16-2017 12:39 AM

When it happens, can you shut the car off and restart it right away without trouble?
Do you have a Durametric?

truegearhead 08-16-2017 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 547141)
When it happens, can you shut the car off and restart it right away without trouble?
Do you have a Durametric?

First off thank you so much for your help, not only is this a track weekend it's my first time trial so this is particularly painful. If the car experiences the bogging problem and you shut it off and then right back on and floor it, it bogs right back down. If you pull over and let the car sit (ON or off) for a couple minutes the bogging goes away for a few minutes. It really seems like the tank is unable to vent properly but I think running without a gas cap would fix that. I wonder if the tank can vent through the metal flap under the cap.

I didn't mention that at first when I ran the codes both the pre-cat O2 sensors were bad. I replaced them and didn't see any change. Do I need to reset the ecu?

The Radium King 08-16-2017 06:26 AM

sound like car is in limp mode - does disconnecting maf have any effect (if not then car is not metering are and just using throttle position - limp mode)? could be low fuel pressure - pump or filter issues. should be a code regardless. did you reset ecu?

truegearhead 08-16-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 547161)
sound like car is in limp mode - does disconnecting maf have any effect (if not then car is not metering are and just using throttle position - limp mode)? could be low fuel pressure - pump or filter issues. should be a code regardless. did you reset ecu?

No I haven't reset the ecu yet. Can I do that without a Porsche tool? I don't believe it's limp mode because it snaps in and out of bogging rapidly. I think its low fuel pressure, there's a code for that though? I wonder if there are codes I'm not seeing with my generic reader.

The Radium King 08-16-2017 07:21 AM

there's no code for low fuel pressure, but there is if the ecu can't hit the proper air/fuel mix. now, if it is only happening at high load then ecu isn't monitoring afr, so may be a fuel pressure thing that the ecu isn't detecting - reduced fuel pressure/flow doesn't become a problem until engine is demanding more fuel - crud in filter?

ecu reset is just disconnect battery for a bit.

truegearhead 08-16-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 547166)
there's no code for low fuel pressure, but there is if the ecu can't hit the proper air/fuel mix. now, if it is only happening at high load then ecu isn't monitoring afr, so may be a fuel pressure thing that the ecu isn't detecting - reduced fuel pressure/flow doesn't become a problem until engine is demanding more fuel - crud in filter?

ecu reset is just disconnect battery for a bit.

I'm replacing the filter tonight so we'll see.

Lemming 08-16-2017 10:33 AM

When you say bog, is it cutting off quickly or just slowly dying? If the former, I would be looking at electrical. A bad spark plug wire or broken plug issue will only manifest under load in many circumstances.

truegearhead 08-16-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemming (Post 547179)
When you say bog, is it cutting off quickly or just slowly dying? If the former, I would be looking at electrical. A bad spark plug wire or broken plug issue will only manifest under load in many circumstances.

It cuts off quickly and all cylinders are effected (or seem to be). It cuts in and out rapidly but you don't get that failed coil sound. More of a struggling to run coughing sound. Sounds like a carb'ed car with a really bad mixture. If it were electrical I think I'd get a misfire code.

truegearhead 08-16-2017 04:00 PM

Welp. Filter didn't fix it.

The Radium King 08-16-2017 04:14 PM

i just saw your other thread on this issue, as well as your thread on removing the charcoal canister - car was bogging before you removed canister? did you try diconnecting the maf or resetting the ecu - based on the ohter thread you have classic fouled maf?

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/68143-bogging-can-caused-o2-sensors.html

truegearhead 08-16-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 547196)
i just saw your other thread on this issue, as well as your thread on removing the charcoal canister - car was bogging before you removed canister? did you try diconnecting the maf or resetting the ecu - based on the ohter thread you have classic fouled maf?

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/68143-bogging-can-caused-o2-sensors.html

Oops...I posted this and the.n couldn't find it so I thought I did something wrong. I did just pull he charcoal canister which I also included in this thread. I really think some how that's it I just can't figure out why. I just checked the fuel pressure. It's right on the money 3.1 bar

truegearhead 08-16-2017 05:45 PM

Charcoal canister reinstalled. No luck, same issue. Man this has been a b*tch!

truegearhead 08-16-2017 06:02 PM

OK BIG CLUE...maybe. It runs great with the MAF disconnected. But I replaced that today. What else could be causing it to run like crap in closed loop if the O2 sensors and new (upstream ones) and the MAF is new?

The Radium King 08-16-2017 06:12 PM

right part # on the maf (there are several versions, not interchangeable)? reset ecu to get bad fuel trims out of the system? second maf bad (seems to happen a LOT)?

truegearhead 08-16-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 547205)
right part # on the maf (there are several versions, not interchangeable)? reset ecu to get bad fuel trims out of the system? second maf bad (seems to happen a LOT)?

I pulled the battery for 5 minutes. That does it right?

truegearhead 08-17-2017 05:45 AM

Does anyone know the list of sensors that are ignored when the car is running in open loop (MAF disconnected)?

The Radium King 08-17-2017 05:54 AM

i think the sensors involved besides o2 sensors and maf are throttle position (there are several - on the throttle, in the pedal) engine speed (rpm - tach) outside air temp and engine temp. not sure which ones stay in play when in limp mode. i have a bosch motronic manual i can email you if you pm me your email address.