Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Dirty brake pads

Im gonna change my brake pads. Im tired of cleaning my wheels, and 2 days later, they are caked with brake dust. I think the previous owner just put the cheapo pads from AutoZone on there. Ive heard ceramic is the way to go, but this isnt a track car, and i drive it daily, until snow hits the ground. So which brake pads are the best choice?

Joe

Snipershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

EBC Redstuff pads gave me good, clean results on the street. No good for the track though!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Great performing low cost ceramic pads are PowerStop. Around $50 per axle on ebay/Amamzon
I have been using themn as my DD pads and even a few AX with great results

I have used RedStuff as well and they are great street/AX pads too
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #4

I am using the OEM Porsche pads on my daily driver 2001 2.7 liter/base, and suggest you might want to also consider them. The brake performance is perfectly acceptable for street driving, pad life seems long (for street driving), and dusting is middle of the road (not non-existent/mild, but also nothing close to extreme, like what you're describing.)

Now I am getting some brake squeaking/squealing under mid/light pedal force and certain speeds/heat levels, which I'm struggling a bit to solve, but I figure it might be because of grooves worn into the discs, so plan to have the discs surfaced and I have a feeling that occasional squeaking noise will go away.

The OE pads also work fine year-round (if you drive in rain, or snow, they're all good!)

Best of luck to ya!
Old 08-15-2017, 03:54 AM   #5

I have been using Akebono Ceramic for a couple years now on my DD. The bite is not quite as good as oem Porsche pads, but brake dust is VERY low. Great alternative for low dust and good performance.
winter.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter.k View Post
I have been using Akebono Ceramic for a couple years now on my DD. The bite is not quite as good as oem Porsche pads, but brake dust is VERY low. Great alternative for low dust and good performance.
I used the Akebono on my previous car (Audi s4) and the pedal feel is VERY different than the OEM pads, but you just needed to counter with more pedal input. When it is time to to brakes on my box, I will be using the Akebonos.

I went from full on cleaning my wheels every week with wheel cleaner, to just wiping them off with the rag after washing the car.

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote