986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Front suspension noise / clunk (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/67539-front-suspension-noise-clunk.html)

Tom Mohr 07-04-2017 03:29 PM

Front suspension noise / clunk

Folks, I have noticed that after driving our car a few miles that a noise / feeling of a "clunk" appears in the front suspension. Most noticeable up through the steering wheel. We do not notice this at the beginning of the drive. It is most noticeable going slow over small bumps like parking lot speed bumps. I'm assuming that the shock/strut is getting warm, thus will need replacing (all 4). It is a 99 base with 55k miles, I have all the work receipts and it does not look like they have been replaced.
Thanks

dghii 07-04-2017 04:52 PM

Before spending $1K on structs, pull your front tires off and check suspension components. I had clunking on a 98 boxster (and my 2000 Boxster). Both were remedied with new drop links (~$30 each).

Very easy DYI as well.

oldskool73 07-04-2017 08:29 PM

also trailing arms (hard to check, but will make clunks over bumps at slow speed) & bump stops (mine were almost completely gone @ 60k)

geraintthomas 07-05-2017 01:10 AM

It's your control arms.

Very common on the boxster, I had the exact same thing. Doesn't make a noise at the start of a drive, starts to make a noise after a while as the bushes start to loosen up. You'll feel it in the steering, and you'll loose a little bit of accuracy.

I've just replaced mine this weekend - £190 for both front control arms and took me about an hour in total to replace them as they're just two bolts each. Absolutely no need to go replacing shocks and struts.

Tom Mohr 07-05-2017 03:05 PM

Awesome info, I will try to check this out in the morning.....when it's COOLER.
Thank you !

Filastein 07-07-2017 04:37 AM

Yeah, I was convinced the problem was the struts but after replacing the front diagonal arms (tuning forks), clunk is gone. Put in the poly-bushing EPS units and it was the right move. The bushings in the arms I pulled were so loose they would click as you moved them to their stops. Easy to imagine them clunking under load.

Tom Mohr 07-08-2017 08:51 AM

Jacked up front wheel before drive rocked wheel side to side, top to bottom no issues. Took it out and drove it till it clunked, jacked it up and checked for "play" or clunk, nothing. So I figure it needs to be under load to create a noise. So......I appreciate the suggestions and will order the units from EPS. After seeing their video and reading their description I believe that is the issue. I will update this post the installation, probably a couple of weeks.
Thank you !

Tom Mohr 07-20-2017 02:06 PM

EPS control arms arrived and have replaced. 20 minute road trip and clunk is missing! Thank you all.....now new tires going on today.
Awesome and Thank you again!

eddieorbrian 06-23-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Mohr (Post 544726)
EPS control arms arrived and have replaced. 20 minute road trip and clunk is missing! Thank you all.....now new tires going on today.
Awesome and Thank you again!

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but which front control arms did you replace?
Thanks