986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Stuttering at speed solved (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/67211-stuttering-speed-solved.html)

mikeclimbs 06-19-2017 09:38 AM

Stuttering at speed solved

I have 1998 boxster I've had for about 6 weeks. I put around 500 miles on the car it ran perfectly the first 3 weeks. I dropped it off at the indy whom I purchased the car from for IMS Bearing replacement.

When I picked it up I got a mile from the garage and the car stalled. When I started it it would not rev above 1,000 rpms, called the shop they sent someone over who pulled the maf and drove it back to the shop. They cleaned the MAF and sent me on my way. On the way home the car started stuttering intermittently at all speeds and gears.

I brought it back to the shop they replaced the maf sensor, same issue

I brought it back to the shop they replaced the crank sensor. Car drove great for 50 miles and then started stuttering intermittently again and kicked error code P0103. MAF exceeds limit value. Brought it back to the shop. They checked every sensor on the car and everything seemed good.

They decided to drain the gas tank, turns out there was almost a gallon of water in the tank. They flushed everything cleaned injectors, replaced fuel filter and put clean gas in and all seems good. Hopefully picking it up tomorrow.

Shared in case it helps someone with a similar issue.

Mike

algiorda 06-19-2017 11:02 AM

Root Cause Analysis: How did a gallon of water penetrate the gas tank?

thstone 06-19-2017 11:17 AM

I agree with algiorda - that is a LOT of water in the gas tank!

Regardless, thanks for posting the solution to help others in the future. :cheers:

mikeclimbs 06-19-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by algiorda (Post 541290)
Root Cause Analysis: How did a gallon of water penetrate the gas tank?

I had same thought how could so much water get in the tank. Mechanic says it's a bad batch of gas.

Car only had 24,000 miles when I bought it so possible it was their from car sitting for a while.

I'm just glad issue is resolved, was getting worried I bought a lemon.

Mike

particlewave 06-19-2017 11:54 AM

Didn't the shop allude to the problem being solved in the previous instances?
I don't think I'd call it solved until you've driven it and logged a few hundred miles with no issues. ;)

mikeclimbs 06-19-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 541302)
Didn't the shop allude to the problem being solved in the previous instances?
I don't think I'd call it solved until you've driven it and logged a few hundred miles with no issues. ;)

I'm optimistic this time, since car reached the point of being un-drivable and know runs great. The prior issues were intermittent.

But I'll post a follow up after driving her for a week.

Mike