Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #1

Aos installation

After much cursing and pouting, I finally removed the AOS. The problem is, I didn't pay enough attention before I yanked it out. The bottom section that slips into the engine and has the rings that look like threads, how far in does it go? Also, do you force it in?
Thanks!

CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
After much cursing and pouting, I finally removed the AOS. The problem is, I didn't pay enough attention before I yanked it out. The bottom section that slips into the engine and has the rings that look like threads, how far in does it go? Also, do you force it in?
Thanks!
The rings are the seal so carefully press it straight in about a inch. Installing the 2 bolts will move it flush to the block using 10 ft/lbs torque. Remove right rear wheel for access.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

Will any of the rings be visible?
Old 04-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Will any of the rings be visible?
No they won't.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks!
You to lightly lubricate those rings to ease insertion. We use a dielectric grease.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #6

Thank you!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You to lightly lubricate those rings to ease insertion. We use a dielectric grease.
JFP...Just curious about how long it takes an experienced shop to install an AOS in a '97-02 Boxster.

I've done a buddy's 03S AOS and it wasn't bad at all. Haven't had the pleasure yet on my 00S but I understand it may be more difficult.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
JFP...Just curious about how long it takes an experienced shop to install an AOS in a '97-02 Boxster.

I've done a buddy's 03S AOS and it wasn't bad at all. Haven't had the pleasure yet on my 00S but I understand it may be more difficult.
Depends upon when it is done; if the trans is out, 15 min. if you take your time. With the car fully assembled, one hour max, including testing the vacuum level of the new AOS.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #9

Thank you!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #10

Aos successfully replaced. Sense of accomplishment? Maybe.
Sense of "I'm never working on this car again"? Very strong.
From now on, it'll be dropped off at the dealership.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #11

The Dealership?
If you chat to the Techs at the Dealer, none of the young ones know much about cars as old as ours. A competent Indie charges less per hour and is usually much more capable of fixing the problem and any related/while you are in there - issues.
Ask here for suggestions/referrals?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:09 AM   #12
BER

Interesting topic. I replaced my AOS on my '01 Boxster back in February. The car was starting to blow a puff or two of smoke every 2 or 3rd start. Car had 61k miles and no record of it every being replaced.

I am fortunate to have a lift and removed the rear wheels. I spent about 20 minutes visualizing where all the connections were located.

Removal and reinstall took about 2 hours taking my time. Like Jeff, I used dielectric grease on all the snap-on connectors.

I must have got it right because no vacuum leaks or issues. Plus, no more smoke on start up.

My "learning" was the next time I take it to my indie. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #13

There is one little "While You Are In There" job that I have never seen mentioned.
With the AOS out, you have rare access to vacuum lines and the leak-prone Vacuum Reservoir. This is a great chance to use the Mighty Vac to test the Vacuum integrity of the SAI system. Specifically , pop off the Y on the Reservoir and test the Reservoir to see if it holds a vacuum for 5+ minutes. If it does not, you will eventually get a CEL and Readiness failure (Smog Test fail!). Much easier to deal with that now than when your Smog is expiring.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #14

So, on the topic of AOS replacement, I understand the simple test for a failing AOS is to remove the oil breather cap, then place your hand over the tube and see if there is suction.

My question - is a little suction normal? Or does feeling any suction at all indicate a failing AOS?
Old 05-09-2017, 02:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
So, on the topic of AOS replacement, I understand the simple test for a failing AOS is to remove the oil breather cap, then place your hand over the tube and see if there is suction.

My question - is a little suction normal? Or does feeling any suction at all indicate a failing AOS?
The correct way to test it is with a digital manometer; you are looking for 5 inches of water warmed up, anything over that and it is on the way out.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:29 AM   #16

Sounds like something well worth adding to the toolbox. Is there a basic unit you would recommend for the home DIY'er? Any special adapters needed to connect it to the car? Where and how do you connect it?
Old 05-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #17

With some hints from JFP , I used my old oil cap and a Home Depot fitting.Just drill+tap and a little sealer. 1/4" NPT x 1/8" barb IIRC
The Manometers are available for around $30 from Amazon.
I used sufficient tubing to reach from the trunk to inside the cab so I could blip the accelerator and see if anything alarming happened.
I had just fitted a new AOS so was interested to test it since some are defective new !So the Manometer Test becomes a routine part of AOS replacement now.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Sounds like something well worth adding to the toolbox. Is there a basic unit you would recommend for the home DIY'er? Any special adapters needed to connect it to the car? Where and how do you connect it?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #19

That's exactly the info I needed. Thank you, gentlemen!
Old 05-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #20

Just to be clear, the tube there inserts into the crank case has a little tab that bottoms on the case. Once that tab is hitting the case, the tube will go no further. In my situation, I can see the tiniest sliver of the seal with it bottomed against the tab, but no rings are visible.

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote