Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
IronDeadPool

Having some lighting issues.......

Hey everyone how are you all doing?
Been doing some digging and was unable to find a anserw?

My issues is when I start my 2001 boxster, the left side taillight and side marker are lit, but the right is not! When I turn the lights on, both the left and right taillight and side marker work!

Please view the video down below

https://youtu.be/-ClPgW4R_as

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Check the DRL relay. Pop the top and look at/clean the relay points. The right side side markers are on pin 58R. Pay special attention to those points and all moving parts associated with the switching action.

Post some pictures of the innards if you're confused and I'll show you.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

In your owners manual you can discover that you have "sidelights." This is the ability to switch on only one side park/tail at a time.

Off for your lights is the 0 position, NOT all the way left. So when you have headlights, only click back twice to get everything off.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #4

Suspect your issue may be related to the LEDs you have installed and their lower resistance. Did you add an resistors to the equation when installed?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #5
IronDeadPool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Suspect your issue may be related to the LEDs you have installed and their lower resistance. Did you add an resistors to the equation when installed?

No I didn't, I suspected it was built into the unit it self!

Can you help by telling me how to go about it myself, what if I changed everything to LED

Project IronDeadPool
Old 03-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
The side marker circuit (front, rear and fender) does not require LED load resistors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986ohana View Post
No I didn't, I suspected it was built into the unit it self!

Can you help by telling me how to go about it myself, what if I changed everything to LED
Check your DRL relay.

Last edited by particlewave; 03-22-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
IronDeadPool

Guys, Remember when I start the car everything works ......but after a minute the right side turns off..... but when i turn the lights on everything works again!

Project IronDeadPool
Old 03-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Check your DRL relay.
It takes less than 5 minutes.

Allow me to clarify: since they work fine with the headlight switch on, that eliminates the possibility of a bad headlight switch or a connection issue at any of the lights.
They are malfunctioning in DRL mode only. In DRL mode, they are getting power through the DRL relay, not the headlight switch. The only component independent to the DRL function is the relay. Everything else (fuses, connections) are also used in the headlight switch circuit.

The wiring diagram is clear: the culprit is the DRL relay. Either the contacts are pitted and dirty, or the mechanism is failing. Clean the contacts as I instructed. If the problem persists, replace the relay.

It has nothing to do with the headlight switch. It has nothing to do with load resistors.

I'm out. Good luck.

Last edited by particlewave; 03-22-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:05 AM   #9
IronDeadPool

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Check your DRL relay.

It takes less than 5 minutes.

Allow me to clarify: since they work fine with the headlight switch on, that eliminates the possibility of a bad headlight switch or a connection issue at any of the lights.

They are malfunctioning in DRL mode only. In DRL mode, they are getting power through the DRL relay, not the headlight switch. The only component independent to the DRL function is the relay. Everything else (fuses, connections) are also used in the headlight switch circuit.

The wiring diagram is clear: the culprit is the DRL relay. Either the contacts are pitted and dirty, or the mechanism is failing. Clean the contacts as I instructed. If the problem persists, replace the relay.

It has nothing to do with the headlight switch. It has nothing to do with load resistors.

I'm out. Good luck.

Thank you so much will try it today, never like having DRL anyways might as well pull the fuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project IronDeadPool