Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #1

Immobiliser key kit swap help

Hi. Im new to this site but having problems with my alarm.
I've just had a new key coded and it didn't solve my problem.
My problem is.... key fob would not open the doors.
I've had water get in to the car and gone under the passenger
Seat and now this problem.
I've spoken to a few people about this and I'm looking to gain as much information as I can before I go ahead with replacing anything. Info so far says I must swap the engine ecu the alarm ECU and the key fob from the same car. I've found an engine ecu with the same part number but finding an alarm ecu with the same part number is proving hard. As long as I fit the matching engine ecu with fob then the alarm part number is irrelevant as long as the alarm ECU is the match to the engine ecu that I fit.
I hope this is clear to someone haha. Am I right in thinking this??? Has anyone done this swap?

Many thanks.
Tony

Tonybandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #2

I'm guessing you're located outside the US.

If you were in the US, I'd suggest contacting ECU Doctors at www.ecudoctors.com in Florida. They could tell you exactly what to do. You might email them and see what they say.

Suggesting this b/c they might be able to tell you the quickest and cheapest way to get your car back in the road.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybandit View Post
Hi. Im new to this site but having problems with my alarm.
I've just had a new key coded and it didn't solve my problem.
My problem is.... key fob would not open the doors.
I've had water get in to the car and gone under the passenger
Seat and now this problem.
I've spoken to a few people about this and I'm looking to gain as much information as I can before I go ahead with replacing anything. Info so far says I must swap the engine ecu the alarm ECU and the key fob from the same car. I've found an engine ecu with the same part number but finding an alarm ecu with the same part number is proving hard. As long as I fit the matching engine ecu with fob then the alarm part number is irrelevant as long as the alarm ECU is the match to the engine ecu that I fit.
I hope this is clear to someone haha. Am I right in thinking this??? Has anyone done this swap?

Many thanks.
Tony
The easiest and best fix would be to find another alarm module, used or new, of the same part number and have the data from the old one put into the replacement. There is no need to change the engine control module, key, fob or anything else. Even new alarm/immobilizer modules are cheaper than replacing all those parts even with used sets which will not match the VIN number of your car.

I have done this myself a few times now, as well as repaired a few water damaged alarm modules. I did one for another forum member a couple of months ago that was badly corroded, repairable.

What is the part number of the alarm module in your car? The year of the Boxster would help as well.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
immobilized by immobilizer

I had water entry into my red Box only a few days after I bought it. Porsche engineering decisions sometimes mystify me. Water-sensitive electronics located in the lowest interior point in a convertible, with no water drain??
Thom 4782 is right; the guys at Specialized ECU Repair, in Oakland Park, Florida, Specialized ECU Repair, Replacement, & Testing - Restore or Exchange your Electronic Control Unit (ECU), know their stuff well. You will have a more sure-fire solution, less total VOR (vehicle off road) time, and less total expense to send your parts to them. They will need your immobilizer box, your engine control module from in the rear trunk, and all the keys.
They also have a waterproof box that replaces the factory one; it is easy to install, requiring only removal of the seat above it. They even include a Torx socket for removing the seat, very thoughtful.
I have fitted that box to all three of our Boxsters, and also--Horrors!!--drilled holes in the floors to allow water to drain BEFORE it gets deep enough to threaten the immobilizer. I suggest every new owner of a Boxster not already fitted should fit this box upon acquiring the car.
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
The easiest and best fix would be to find another alarm module, used or new, of the same part number and have the data from the old one put into the replacement. There is no need to change the engine control module, key, fob or anything else. Even new alarm/immobilizer modules are cheaper than replacing all those parts even with used sets which will not match the VIN number of your car.

I have done this myself a few times now, as well as repaired a few water damaged alarm modules. I did one for another forum member a couple of months ago that was badly corroded, repairable.

What is the part number of the alarm module in your car? The year of the Boxster would help as well.
My car is a 2000 2.7 boxster. Part number is 996 618 262 00

Tonybandit is offline   Reply With Quote