Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2016, 06:11 AM   #1

Fog light electrical issues

This is a weird one, and it's probably down to a bad earth.

When I turn my fog lights on, my (passenger side to you) foglight is fine, but the other one is barely lit. Along with it being barely lit, the indicator on the same headlamp is lit up, along with the fender indicator.

So turning the foglights on barely turns it on, but lights up the indicators on that side instead. Weird.

Not sure what's causing this. One thing I do know is that the headlight in question is the toughest headlamp to 'lock' back into place. I'm wondering if one of the connections is barely connecting, or perhaps they just need a clean.

But before I check, I thought I'd ask in case it was something common

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Definitely sounds like a bad ground. The fog and parking light (inside the headlight) share a common ground with the turn bulb. What happens with the blinker? Probably a bad connection on the headlights main connector.

Last edited by particlewave; 11-19-2016 at 09:00 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #3

Blinker functions fine. I'll have a look at that, thanks for the info!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 11-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

I had the exact same problem. All of my grounding points were fine. For me, it turned out to be the main connector. When I pushed in hard on the headlight assembly, the foglamp would illuminate full power. I was able to bend the connectors for the foglamp connection with a very small screwdriver to resolve the issue.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #5

Sounds like what I'm having. When you say bend with a screwdriver, which way are you bending? And which ends, the female or male?

Old 11-21-2016, 04:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Sounds like what I'm having. When you say bend with a screwdriver, which way are you bending? And which ends, the female or male?
Female end. The connector is a metal clip inside the plastic housing. On mine, the clip had become loose and no longer made a solid connection with the pin in the headlight housing. I was able to bend it back with a small screwdriver.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
Female end. The connector is a metal clip inside the plastic housing. On mine, the clip had become loose and no longer made a solid connection with the pin in the headlight housing. I was able to bend it back with a small screwdriver.

Thank you. Just bent the pins back to where they should be and it works fine now.

Cheers!

Old 11-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #8

Excellent!!!
Nothing beats an easy fix!